Fahaka in a community tank

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Woefulrelic.. Yep I am Happy to report the GT is alive and feeding well on sinking pellets. The wound has all healed up and he is still trying to fight with the Oscar for dominance of the tank. But he has learn his lesson and leaves the fahaka alone!
I saw him in the latest pic. He looks a bit like pacman but if he's eating good for all.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Fat homer... Yes totally agree I am constantly scanning the tank for any issues or aggression. But my fahaka really does seem to not be interested. When the Oscar pushes her about she just turns her belly to him (which in dogs etc is a sign of submission) so I guess she just doesn't want to play. I was told by the Lfs when I got her that she was captive bred..so that could have an impact. But totally I am aware that this is a very risky business

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Woefulrelic... You should see him trying the lip lock the Oscar lol
But that's part of the process if a fish gets hurt because of my experiment, its up to me to look after him so he has a home for life.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Woefulrelic... You should see him trying the lip lock the Oscar lol
But that's part of the process if a fish gets hurt because of my experiment, its up to me to look after him so he has a home for life.
I think as long as you recognize the risks involved and are willing to move quickly it's all good. These are fish though, in my eyes.

Reactions: Achilles1763

Meanie_Jardini

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2016
New Jersey
I keep a mbu with rainbow fish and discus. It works lol. Just keep him fed. The rainbows are too fast and he doesn't care about the discus cause they don't act agressivly towards him. I have a fahaka I've been growing out since he was the size of a pea. Always kept in a community tank (right now he's with mostly plecos) I've never had a problem with him being agressive. Defensive is another story lol. If someone bothers him it's like Freddy Kruger went at them.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Good to see someone else is having success with this, and I really think it's because you got yours at such a small size and it grew up with other fish. The fahakas reputation for aggressive is, I believe, mainly based on the fact that up until only recently most fahakas were wild caught and arrived in Lfs around 2-6 inches. By this point they have learned the savage aggression from the wild in which they live in very murky water and anything they see is either a) food or b) a threat/rival so they immediately kill it. I will post some more complete pictures of my tank after the water change has finished so you can see who my own lives with and how calm she is.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Well it's still running without any issues, all the fish are happy, health and growing well. So all you harbingers of doom... Bring a book.. You might have a long wait.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would say as long as you keep an eye on your fish it should be okay...

But just as a heads up, i have also heard stories of Fahakas turning into serial killers overnight after living peacefully in community tanks for years...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store