12x8x8

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I am trying to get a bigger tank for mine. Had to rescue a khulo loach from my brother that he rescues since it wasnt getting food
People don't realize how active they (bettas) actually are, they seem to have it in their heads that if you give a betta a large tank he'll "just sit in a corner and make a bubble nest" which is soooo far from the truth it may as well go in the same category of ignorance with "fish only grow to the size of their tanks" because it really is a stupid way to think.

Bettas are extremely active when in a "large" tank, they'll explore every crack and crevice and are always doing something. Great fun to watch. :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
People don't realize how active they (bettas) actually are, they seem to have it in their heads that if you give a betta a large tank he'll "just sit in a corner and make a bubble nest" which is soooo far from the truth it may as well go in the same category of ignorance with "fish only grow to the size of their tanks" because it really is a stupid way to think.

Bettas are extremely active when in a "large" tank, they'll explore every crack and crevice and are always doing something. Great fun to watch. :)
I have my Betta in a 3 gal, and he barely has enough room to do his happy dance.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I kept my betta in a 120ltr and after seeing how active they are I could never keep one in a tank that tiny. :D

Although I might look into the endler guppies and dwarf rasboras and see what I can find locally. Thank you. :)
I do agree it's a controversial one. My Betta is in a 32 litre and he does like to investigate, but I could keep one in 20 litres and be perfectly happy, if I planted enough and created enough nooks and crannies to investigate!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I have my Betta in a 3 gal, and he barely has enough room to do his happy dance.
I can only imagine... Do an experiment IF you have the tank space and see for yourself how active they are. :D

1. Make a log of betta activity in the 3gal, even if its just for a day or two. Write down the movements of the fish from the happy dance to the refilling of his labyrinth.

2. Move betta into larger tank (say, 60ltrs+) and give him a week or so to adjust.

3. Write down every movement of the betta in the larger tank, from a flick of the tail fin to his coming to greet you.

4. Compare notes and see how active they really are! :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I can only imagine... Do an experiment IF you have the tank space and see for yourself how active they are. :D

1. Make a log of betta activity in the 3gal, even if its just for a day or two. Write down the movements of the fish from the happy dance to the refilling of his labyrinth.

2. Move betta into larger tank (say, 60ltrs+) and give him a week or so to adjust.

3. Write down every movement of the betta in the larger tank, from a flick of the tail fin to his coming to greet you.

4. Compare notes and see how active they really are! :)
I can do that experiment, but I would have to move my breeder angels.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I do agree it's a controversial one. My Betta is in a 32 litre and he does like to investigate, but I could keep one in 20 litres and be perfectly happy, if I planted enough and created enough nooks and crannies to investigate!
THIS is where the difference lies. You'd at least make sure he wasn't bored crapless and had things to do, unlike so many people that just plop them in a tiny tank with a fake plant in the center and call it a day then wonder why all they do is make a bubble nest... Its like "if you had nothing to do except make a nest, what would you be doing? That's right, making a bubble nest over and over out of sheer boredom."

Sorry about my rant... I just detest those crummy 4ltr "betta villas" that barely have enough room for the fish to move..

While I do have a little 6ltr "betta duo" thing with the center glass removed, its never once had a betta in it... Its used to qt tiny fish if I buy teeny tiny fish. :D

Reactions: convict360

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I can do that experiment, but I would have to move my breeder angels.
I wouldn't recommend moving your fish around just to do it... But if you come across a cheap 60ltr+ tank, keep the experiment in mind! :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I assume this isn't interactive enough. If not I can buy an ornament that would be more entertaining. Sorry about the pic. It was from when I first got him and it's the only full tank shot I have.20160718_124731.jpg

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I assume this isn't interactive enough. If not I can buy an ornament that would be more entertaining. Sorry about the pic. It was from when I first got him and it's the only full tank shot I have.View attachment 1201136
That tank looks pretty tall considering what it is. Just stack driftwood up and up and up to create little crannies and caves for him to explore. Just make sure they're not to small for him to get wedged in. :)

I would rearrange Bruce's tank every couple of weeks so he always had something new to explore. He was so inquisitive. :)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I assume this isn't interactive enough. If not I can buy an ornament that would be more entertaining. Sorry about the pic. It was from when I first got him and it's the only full tank shot I have.View attachment 1201136
I can do driftwood too, but I would prefer not to use live plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store