900 gallon possibility - stock list?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah I did. The tank isn't anything like the tank you spent 100 posts discussing.
That's because it was thrown onto us by a student. We're going to keep this running for the next 7-8 months or so, and if he decides that it's big enough we will go larger. I don't know if I want to go with a big SW tank, big FW tank, a bunch of small tanks, or a medium SW and a medium FW tank but I think a big FW would be the nicest option, as it would be cheaper and we could focus more on getting some rare fish instead of spending all of our money on salt and lighting.

I will admit, it doesn't sound like a good idea to have a massive wall of tanks, unless they were all FW or all SW and ran on one filtration system. Sounds like a lot of maintenance that I don't even know if I would want to do paid. So yes, 10 tanks and some birds and reptiles sounds a bit unrealistic now, but 1-2 tanks plus our 60 gallon now doesn't sound unreasonable at all

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would rather maintain a large tank rather than many smaller ones, but i would cut down on the stocking a little unless you like your waterchanges

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I would rather maintain a large tank rather than many smaller ones, but i would cut down on the stocking a little unless you like your waterchanges
Looking into auto waterchangers. I don't think that's too heavily stocked for a 900 gallon though:

7 rays (heaviest part by far, although orbigynis seem to stay somewhat smaller than the others)
1 arowana
7 dwarf plecos
2 pikes
6-8 geos
2 uarus
4 severums
and 24 silver dollars

Perhaps the SD number is a bit too high, but other than that I don't think it would be too bad

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thats still pretty big, maybe dripping 300gallons a day would work. Also remember how fast and hard SDs feed, a lot of food is usually needed to get some to the bottom levels and that will bring serious nitrates

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Thats still pretty big, maybe dripping 300gallons a day would work. Also remember how fast and hard SDs feed, a lot of food is usually needed to get some to the bottom levels and that will bring serious nitrates
I think the SDs would take over the tank pretty quickly, they're not small fish when you get into the ____-hooks and _____-bars and such. 24 is a lot, maybe 24 of the smaller species like spotteds but no way 24 bigger ones. What do you think about pbass in this tank? I'm also looking for a replacement catfish for the tank, those are rare/expensive rays and I don't want to risk plecos with them. They don't need to be algae eaters, just a cool catfish for the tank (or multiples of them actually). Thinking about ageneiosus cats, maybe 3-4 of them

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I think the SDs would take over the tank pretty quickly, they're not small fish when you get into the ____-hooks and _____-bars and such. 24 is a lot, maybe 24 of the smaller species like spotteds but no way 24 bigger ones. What do you think about pbass in this tank? I'm also looking for a replacement catfish for the tank, those are rare/expensive rays and I don't want to risk plecos with them. They don't need to be algae eaters, just a cool catfish for the tank (or multiples of them actually). Thinking about ageneiosus cats, maybe 3-4 of them
Nice

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
But I think you should focus on building the tank first, and then create a stock list thread. I don't wanna be rude but you already created many of these threads to no progress

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
But I think you should focus on building the tank first, and then create a stock list thread. I don't wanna be rude but you already created many of these threads to no progress
Itsgood and all to have ideas but he has a point

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Good point, the tank can be based on what generally will go in the tank but it's a waste of time to make a stock list without knowing how big the tank will be. It might lead to some big disappointments too

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Good point, the tank can be based on what generally will go in the tank but it's a waste of time to make a stock list without knowing how big the tank will be. It might lead to some big disappointments too
It's not disappointing if we all know deep down you aren't going to do it.

Reactions: reefman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store