The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

fmcgregor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2016
Tilbury, Ontario, Canada
Hello; I apologize for being able to run several tanks this way off and on for many years. I guess I just did not know it cannot be done. For around a decade all i had were sponge filters, UGF's and bubbler operated HOB's and in tank filters with carbon and floss. I wonder if the tanks I ran with no filtration at all (Walstad method) was also not possible?My sarcasm aside, mere words cannot express my true feeings about your statement and may you acquire exactly what you deserve.
You can slam your sarcasm all you want, but it doesn't change what is going on in my tank. Perhaps I just expect and maintain a higher water quality and clarity than yourself, not sure, but it most certainly has nothing to do with my lack of water changes or experience. I have recently changed to a sponge filter when my HOB finally kicked the bucket, and have noticed a MORE than drastic change in my water clarity. I have doubled my weekly water changes from 10% to 20% and it still has little effect on it. I enjoy crystal clear water always, and I am sure this has had a major effect on the quality of and size of the fish I raise. So although I really enjoyed your "expert" advice from your broken ego, I don't think I will be taking it.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; To those following this thread, other than Fred from Ontario, the use of sponge filters as a viable alternative for running a tank has a long history. I have used them and will continue to do so.
It should be noted that as with any tool there are some limitations to keep in mind. For solo use I find them best suited for use in QT, freshly hatched fry tanks, hospital tanks and short term holding of fish.
The use as a suppliment in a tank is perhaps more often the case for me. I like to run some sort of bubbler operated "filter" or at least a simple air stone in all my tanks along with a HOB or other such filters than have mechanical filtration.
Over the decades there have been times early on when the modern type power filters were not available to me and the current style of HOB had not been developed. The early HOB's were prone to many failures on a nearly daily basis. The more common issue being that they would lose prime (or siphon). This was something to check for each day as it was so common. Running a sponge, UGF or even a simple air stone has kept my tanks alive many times. The current HOB's are many times more reliable in many ways. If the power flickers off for a moment my power filters will self prime now. The early units would lose siphon.
I have one tank running now with a couple of sponge filters buried in the gravel and an HOB. The sponges are insurance.
Another use for the sponge is as a quick setup tool. I cut some sponge material that is thin and layer this onto a sponge filter base. After being run for a time the sponge layers become colonized with bb. I can either move the entire sponge filter into a new tank or peel a layer of the sponge to use as a seed of bb.

To Fred from Ontario, I am quite comfortable knowing that you do not follow my advice. Feel free to run your tanks any way you wish and good luck. Brings to mind a line from a song "southern man don't need him around anyway".

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Honestly, you don't want your sponge filter(s) serving as mechanical filtration. They'll do it (and clog and need to be cleaned) but dedicated (primarily) mechanical filtration is much better.

I run (as the only filtration) an air-driven box filter and sponge filter on most of the tanks in my fishroom. Running lots of air through the boxes both keeps the sponges and the tanks cleaner.

Matt

I do weekly 10% water changes, and truthfully you are the first person to state that it doesn't remove debris. After the sponge filter being recommended by so many, I looked it up on YouTube,. and everybody claimed it was a mechanical, as well as a minor biological filter. If it is not a mechanical filter, (removes debris) what exactly is it supposed to do then? Because it is quite obvious that it would serve poorly as a biological filter. Or am I misunderstanding? And yes...JD's are MESSY eaters. Down right slobs, swimming around spitting food al over...lol.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
long as kept clean, sponges make great mech and bio filters, esp when air driven.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would not have them as my only filtration, but are wonderful additions to the whole system.

Capt Bones

Feeder Fish
Sep 5, 2016
Great post aclockworkorange.
I worked at a LFS (left 2016) and all the freshwater tanks were equipped with air driven sponge filters. Tanks ranged from 25 to 90 gallons. All were plumbed to a single piston driven air pump. The shop has a back-up generator. A 2 pump system would make the system essentially failsafe. By any standard, tanks were over stocked.
Sponges were cleaned by squeezing them out when out flow slowed. Tanks received regular water changes via gravel washing.
Simple, effective and low maintenance what's not to like?

Legu Gui

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2016
Philippines
I use an Over head Filter for my main tank, but for my grow-out tanks and breeding tanks, I used sponge filters. But, I don't use ready made sponge filter, I DIY my filters. That way I get to choose the bio media and best design for optimum bio filtration.
I don't rely on sponge filter for mechanical filtration, I vacuum the poops and other debris daily using my DIY vacuum using an air pump. Its easier to vacuum because the poops and debris are sucked in around the sponge.

Sponge filter are cheap, easy to maintain, economical, and a very good bio-filter if design well. Most of my sponge filter are made with recycled plastic bottles filled with ceramic rings with holes in the bottom and the top portion.

alysha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
40 gallon breeder and 2 fancy goldfish, could a sponge filter work for this? I know goldfish are extra messy and need extra clean water, would two filters help? And what if I added in live plants to the mix? I really really like the idea of a sponge filter as the only filtration source, its just feels right to me. But could I make it work with the set up I have?

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
40 gallon breeder and 2 fancy goldfish, could a sponge filter work for this? I know goldfish are extra messy and need extra clean water, would two filters help? And what if I added in live plants to the mix? I really really like the idea of a sponge filter as the only filtration source, its just feels right to me. But could I make it work with the set up I have?
It could work for you provided you do gravel vacuuming along with your weekly water changes. All I have on my 55g goldfish tank is a large sponge bubbler and an AquaClear70 HOB. I've got 3 fancies and a comet. The comet is about 6-7" and the fancies about large meatball sized LOL. I never got why people say goldfish are so messy. They are absolutely no messier than any other similarly sized fish. In fact, in my goldy tank, I find very little debris in the gravel when I stir it up duing WWCs.

alysha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
It could work for you provided you do gravel vacuuming along with your weekly water changes. All I have on my 55g goldfish tank is a large sponge bubbler and an AquaClear70 HOB. I've got 3 fancies and a comet. The comet is about 6-7" and the fancies about large meatball sized LOL. I never got why people say goldfish are so messy. They are absolutely no messier than any other similarly sized fish. In fact, in my goldy tank, I find very little debris in the gravel when I stir it up duing WWCs.
Thanks for the input! I also plan on doing a sand bottom, do you think this adds any effect to the filter setup?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store