NEED HELP! NEW TO SITE.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You ain't the bad guy Fat Homer Fat Homer . Didn't see it the gallons myself. You right.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
He's in hospital tank now, he is about 7-8 inches long. The other fish that were in his tank were a clown knife fish ( 12-14 in) jack Dempsey ( 5-6 in) tire track eel ( 5 in) albino channel cat ( 8 in).
I only have experience keeping channel cats. I believe it could have been him. My channel cat ate a 7" elephant fish when he was 7" long. I brought the elephant fish back from the lfs, nice and healthy, and within 2 minutes of its release into the tank, my channel cat killed and ate it right in front of me. It was horrible. Channel cats may not be very aggressive (IME), but if it thought it had a chance of making a meal of your aro, it would, and if the aro just managed to get away....
I really feel for you. I know what it is like to have a beautiful new fish destroyed before you get to enjoy it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fish_tank_dude_96

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Thank you everyone! I'm very happy with how quickly I've gotten responses. I will definitely take all tips. Unfortunately a 400 gallon is just not plausible for me right now.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ honestly and im not trying to be mean here, but rehome the clown knife at the very least, a potentiallt large 3' fish which isnt that flexible really needs a big tank... so maybe best sell it before it gets too big and no one wants to take him off your hands...

Chockful O Phail

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2015
Council Bluffs, IA
Thank you everyone! I'm very happy with how quickly I've gotten responses. I will definitely take all tips. Unfortunately a 400 gallon is just not plausible for me right now.
Then consider the welfare of the fish. There are lots of fish I'd like to keep but don't because either they get too large for my tanks or won't get along with the fish I have. The bass and the knife both need new much bigger homes, if you can't provide that you need to move them on. In the future I would suggest doing a little research about the fish you'd like to keep including max size, water reqs, personality, etc... know the fish before you buy. I can't speak for the channel cat, I'm not familiar with them.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Damn, was that a solid black colored gar? or was it just the lighting making it look that way??? also, what happened to them???

Fish_tank_dude_96

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
Damn, was that a solid black colored gar? or was it just the lighting making it look that way??? also, what happened to them???
The black one was an alligator gar. I loved them all so much but sold them all because of size reason. It was tough but it was for the better. I'm know learning I'm almost gonna have to do that agin which is upsetting.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I can't speak for the channel cat, I'm not familiar with them.
Well I can. Mine grew to a foot long in my 55 before I gave up and let him go in my cousin's lake. According to wikipedia, you can expect them to grow to 1.5 ft and weigh 8lbs, but they can get much larger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store