New 33,000 gal indoor pond

3090 Jim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2017
I'm new to MonsterFish, but have had large saltwater aquariums and a 4500 gallon pond for 20+ years. I recently completed a 33,000 gallon pond in the atrium of my office in CA, which is 28" deep and 35'x70' long with some ancillary water falls. It was designed to be a saltwater pond with sharks and rays, but the electricity required was a killer.

The walkways are bridged concrete on pilings, with water underneath all of them.

I have some koi from the previous pond and a couple black sturgeon, but am hoping you can help me with some cool and different fish. The water stays between 65-75 degrees as it is air conditioned/heated airspace.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

View attachment IMG_1564.jpg

View attachment IMG_1568.jpg

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Good lord now that is an indoor pond! The small depth sadly limits you (I guess this was chosen because of the rays?), but there are still a plethora of cool cold-water or subtropical fish to choose from.

I'd say first of all get rid of the sturgeon (too warm) and then have a look around the forums and your local fish stores what you like. Then you can always come back and ask us if those species would be suitable :)

3090 Jim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2017
Thanks for the thoughts. The 24" depth is commercial code. There is a maximum distance from a walkway to the ground below of 30", even if filled with water, to avoid using a railing.

The pond water temp is only controlled by the surrounding air, so going colder than 65 or hotter than 75 isn't currently a consideration or option.

Jim

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
That office building/pond looks very similar to one in San Diego. They do not have anything in it but has some very nice plants along it. I think it will make a very nice pond for kois/fancy gold fish. Mahseers is good too but not as colorful.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Golden Tinfoil Barb or Gold Giant Danio shoals might look nice. They're good at imparting movement very active fast swimmers and they school well. Sometimes with angular modern setups slower fish just look like they're loitering. Anything albino/white or metallic will really pop.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

3090 Jim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions. I think the giant Danios and Barbs need warmer water than I will likely have in the winter, which should get down to 65.

I definitely want schooling fish or fish that add movement. I tried the American Flagfish and they are doing well, but without aquarium lights are less colorful than I expected. I may try some of the large neon tetras in a school, or the green neon danios.

Again, thanks for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store