4,000g+ pond in Atlanta. What else can I put it in there?

triathloncoach

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Atlanta
Currently Goldfish/Koi and Sunfish. I also have bullfrogs. I love the bullfrogs. I've been thinking of adding a catfish, but I don't want something that is going to eat my frogs. I was going to visit a local pond and catch one a foot or less. I'm guessing this is frowned upon,but theoretically is there a catfish that can co-exist? I've had small bass before, I'm thinking of this. It will be a few years before they would eat the frogs. Is there an online option to buy something appropriate? IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

Reactions: xraycer

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
There are some native cats that don't get very big, mad toms I think is the common name. Search PCF for ideas as well. Congrats on your pond, how is it. Filtered?

Reactions: triathloncoach

triathloncoach

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Atlanta
I have a Laguna 4000 UV. I have two pumps that do about 4000 gph, one goes to the filter, then the water fall, the other directly to the water fall. I may order a another filter for the pump that goes straight to the water fall. I am not familiar with mad Tom's

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Anything that fits in an amphibian's mouth get's eaten- anything big enough to not get munched on by an amphibian usually munches on amphibians. Chinese high fin shark might satisfy your itch for a catfish -they look like a shark at first and then they get catfish/carp looking they're bottom feeders, peaceful and they're mostly herbivores. They do get big though but you have room it seems.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Normal brown or black bullheads should be OK, their mouths aren't big enough for something as huge as a bullfrog.

Reactions: xraycer

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Normal brown or black bullheads should be OK, their mouths aren't big enough for something as huge as a bullfrog.
-was that a joke?
they LOVE bullfrogs and catfish are rarely worried about whether something fits in their mouth or not - they can always drown it and work on it underwater until it's manageable.
upload_2017-4-20_8-32-58.png
they don't get as big as the yellows but they never stop growing
-not my image

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
20150911_210022.jpg
+1
Also come in this mottle pattern. Mine is about 12" long now, and living with some bass and a sunfish

Last edited:

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Reactions: Chub_by
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store