ID Please. Sold to me as Festae, I think Mayan.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I think the consensus is Mayan, which I'm totally fine with. He's a cool little fish.

Thanks for the kind words on Lemon! I'll do an Oscar video shortly. He's just 1 of 4 that we have. My fiance has a soft spot for the goofy/clumsy doofuses. She hand feeds them, pets them, cradles them in her hand and they love it. They just see me as a source of food. :rolleyes:
Haha that's awesome! I'm trying to get my male texas to eat food from my hands but he thinks my finger is food too

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Haha that's awesome! I'm trying to get my male texas to eat food from my hands but he thinks my finger is food too
Our Texas is a jerk too, don't take it personally. :D I have to say, OJ, our smaller adult has a pretty mean bite and Slim Shady, our big boy 14.5" Tiger has a nasty, nasty bite. He's drawn blood before.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Our Texas is a jerk too, don't take it personally. :D I have to say, OJ, our smaller adult has a pretty mean bite and Slim Shady, our big boy 14.5" Tiger has a nasty, nasty bite. He's drawn blood before.
Damn :eek: that's the first time I've heard an oscar draw blood. My male Texas is about 6 inches and I named him Rambo (as in john Rambo). He lives up to the name though. He doesn't back down from my buttikoferi. The fights are nothin serious though,only at feeding time.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Damn :eek: that's the first time I've heard an oscar draw blood. My male Texas is about 6 inches and I named him Rambo (as in john Rambo). He lives up to the name though. He doesn't back down from my buttikoferi. The fights are nothin serious though,only at feeding time.
I just donated my Butti because he was getting too wild, even though move day is this coming Saturday he still couldn't stay. OJ is named after OJ Simpson because he's murderous scum and gets away with it. He's a violent little guy....little is used jokingly here.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
I just donated my Butti because he was getting too wild, even though move day is this coming Saturday he still couldn't stay. OJ is named after OJ Simpson because he's murderous scum and gets away with it. He's a violent little guy....little is used jokingly here.
Huh. I've always heard that buttikoferi are extremely aggressive and kill almost everything. My butti is cool with everyone.....for now. They grow fast,January he was 1.5 inches and now he's 6 inches.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Huh. I've always heard that buttikoferi are extremely aggressive and kill almost everything. My butti is cool with everyone.....for now. They grow fast,January he was 1.5 inches and now he's 6 inches.
Mine grew from about 1.5" to 9" in a little over 9 months. He started off timid and shy, but turned into the definition of violence. He was worse than my Festae, and he's king jerk of all jerkbags. Awesome fish though, I will be getting another in the coming months. His name was Bumblebee.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Mine grew from about 1.5" to 9" in a little over 9 months. He started off timid and shy, but turned into the definition of violence. He was worse than my Festae, and he's king jerk of all jerkbags. Awesome fish though, I will be getting another in the coming months. His name was Bumblebee.
U gotta be kidding right?! I named mine bumblebee cause my gf thought he looked like one. At what size did the aggression start to show in your butti? Mine was already challenging my texas at 4 inches.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
U gotta be kidding right?! I named mine bumblebee cause my gf thought he looked like one. At what size did the aggression start to show in your butti? Mine was already challenging my texas at 4 inches.
My daughter named him. For the same reason. :p His aggression really started to peak at about the 6" mark for us.

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
My daughter named him. For the same reason. :p His aggression really started to peak at about the 6" mark for us.
Oh. Well mine is passive most of the time but flips when my texas enters "his" side of the tank

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Oh. Well mine is passive most of the time but flips when my texas enters "his" side of the tank
Ours was the same way with the Festae, then they were just going at it 24/7 and Butti had to go. I miss him, but he's terrorizing a 350g display tank at one of our LFS. They even gave me $40 credit for him. ;) I swear I keep some of my fish at my LFS and they just hangout there. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store