Do you add aquarium salt to your freshwater tank?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
My LFS mentioned they add salt to all their tanks as a conditioner and advised i do the same, so i tried and i realised wounds heal faster and fish seems to be more lively....

i add about 12 teaspoon of salt for per water change, will add for consecutively for 2 water change than stop for next 2-3 water change then start adding again....

Tank size 6x2x2. Stock: Cichlids and Featherfin catfish

Do you do the same?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I don't. No need to as long as proper qt is done and water is clean.

The lfs has to cause of potentially receiving sick/stressed/wild fish.

It does help with wounds/infections, slime coat and nitrite/ammonia poisoning.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My LFS mentioned they add salt to all their tanks as a conditioner and advised i do the same, so i tried and i realised wounds heal faster and fish seems to be more lively....

i add about 12 teaspoon of salt for per water change, will add for consecutively for 2 water change than stop for next 2-3 water change then start adding again....

Tank size 6x2x2. Stock: Cichlids and Featherfin catfish

Do you do the same?

I personally don't add salt in any of my aquariums. The reason most lfs stores use salt is to control infections or outbreaks such as ich or fungus. Most stores like Petsuppliesplus maybe Petsmart have most of their aquariums running on one unit. I know for sure they don't quarantine fish atleast in my area.

A

AquaAlex1993

It is a great idea to have if you have nippy fish, in my personal experience kosher salt or even aquarium salt helps heal nipped fins or injury.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
thanks guys, looks like it is a good to have but not necessary.... since the cost is low, i think i will use salt once a while for my cichlids

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I have never used salt, except for medical reasons. Freshwater fish have evolved away from salt for millions of years. And I've never found a long term study on the use of salt with freshwater fish.

However, I'd be excited to see a list of the diseases and parasites and bacteria that a small amount (e.g., 1 tsp per 5 gallons) of salt stops in freshwater aquariums.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I have never used salt, except for medical reasons. Freshwater fish have evolved away from salt for millions of years. And I've never found a long term study on the use of salt with freshwater fish.

However, I'd be excited to see a list of the diseases and parasites and bacteria that a small amount (e.g., 1 tsp per 5 gallons) of salt stops in freshwater aquariums.
my own experience is i see wounds heal faster and fishes more active.... not sure if it is placebo effect though...

which is also the reason i am asking here actually, is it really better or just placebo?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
my own experience is i see wounds heal faster and fishes more active.... not sure if it is placebo effect though...

which is also the reason i am asking here actually, is it really better or just placebo?

I agree that for injuries using salt has some purpose. People seem to have good results using it for that. And for ich, obviously, that's a strong medical reason. But assuming no medical reason, why use salt? I just don't see the reason.

As for fish being more active, everyone has a tendency to see what they want. Not like a delusion and not intentional, but we all tend to shape memories and experiences to fit what we want them to be. That's just how we all seem to be built. That's why placebo is a real thing.

It might be true that salt makes fish more active (or just the opposite), or it might be that people want to think that. Who knows unless some controlled studies are done?

And who knows what the long term effect of constant low-levels of salt are to freshwater fish?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store