New pair of pikes

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Got these guys a few weeks back, they were donated to a petland discounts and crammed in a small tank with three Oscars (who were all going blind for some reason?) Did not seem like a good situation, so I brought them home and set up a 90 gallon for them.
As for the ID, I was thinking crenicichla sp. Venezuela? They have some pink/orange but not as much as most atabapo's I see. Any insight?

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Great find! Those would have been coming home with me if I bumped into them, provided they didn't have a silly price.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Thanks guys, these fish are a joy to own, these two have as much or more personality than any amphilophus I have kept! at first they were shy but once they realized I feed them, it's nonstop begging at the front of the tank. I'll have to take a video, it's pretty funny.
And I got these guys for 15$ each, petland just wanted to get rid of them

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Having some troubles with this pair now. I have had them for probably around a month, and never saw a bit of aggression between them until about a week ago. I think they are finally 100% comfortable in the tank, and now the male has taken to biting his wife's tail. She also has been doing the "shaky-twitchy" dance that I know is usually associated with breeding. But when she does this, the male flares up and goes and bites her tail. It's not super bad, he isn't relentless and if she runs away he doesn't chase her. But It's enough to where I feel like it's not great for the female, her tailfin is getting some tears in it. After he bites her she usually sticks around for a little bit shaking, then goes and hides in the upper part of the tank.
I really don't want to split this pair up, but I think if this keeps up forever her tail will be gone. Any advice/insight as to why the sudden change? Breeding mood perhaps?

Reactions: AquaAlex1993
A

AquaAlex1993

Very nice pikes, and a great deal! I have been wanting a pike for years, but all I see up here are belly crawlers, they are cool but I want an Orange Pike or a Johanna or a red pike.
Nice Red hook silver dollars too, btw. One of my favs!

Reactions: Gourami Swami
A

AquaAlex1993

Having some troubles with this pair now. I have had them for probably around a month, and never saw a bit of aggression between them until about a week ago. I think they are finally 100% comfortable in the tank, and now the male has taken to biting his wife's tail. She also has been doing the "shaky-twitchy" dance that I know is usually associated with breeding. But when she does this, the male flares up and goes and bites her tail. It's not super bad, he isn't relentless and if she runs away he doesn't chase her. But It's enough to where I feel like it's not great for the female, her tailfin is getting some tears in it. After he bites her she usually sticks around for a little bit shaking, then goes and hides in the upper part of the tank.
I really don't want to split this pair up, but I think if this keeps up forever her tail will be gone. Any advice/insight as to why the sudden change? Breeding mood perhaps?
To me it sounds like the woman wants sex and the man doesn't so he's biting her.
LMAO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store