Four-lined pictus catfish?

A

AquaAlex1993

Can anyone tell me about these cats? I saw them at the local fish store. What makes them different from regular pictus cats? The worker said these guys get 8-10'' compared to the pictus which gets 4-6''. Are these cats good clean up eaters?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The size mentioned is a typical size they get in home aquariums. Basically a large pictus catfish. A good clean up fish and not fussy at all.

Reactions: fishnatics

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
It's not as active and a little territorial. Doesn't like it's own species ime they fight eachother. Gets up to a foot TL.

Reactions: fishnatics

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I used to have a huge one. Probably close to a foot long. Voracious eater, not aggressive that I saw towards cichlids or oddballs that don't look like it. Mine got beat up by my cichlids actually. Pretty good catfish overall.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's not as active and a little territorial. Doesn't like it's own species ime they fight eachother. Gets up to a foot TL.
Large group should disperse the aggression out. This would also help the low activity imo.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
What everyone else said so far. Beautiful cat imo. Mine is super territorial that I had to rehome the other 2. Fights with all my bottom dwellers. “Loaches, plecos”. A sight to see at 10”+
If you want some activity then this catfish might not be the one. Mine stays in its cave till lights out.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Mines always, infact never hides at all. Maybe I got lucky?
Here's a pic I just took, excuse floating food mess, just fed mill worms!-)

IMG_20171003_215753.jpg

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I had two, one 8" one 11"+\-. They never hid. But laid around majority of the day. Ended up staying at opposite ends of the tank, any time they met eachother it was a fight. Had a male jag at the time that would break it up.
Large group should disperse the aggression out. This would also help the low activity imo.
i was comparing to regular pictus when I said not as active. I've not seen anyone with a large group of blochii. Maybe you're right. As far as aggression sure it'd disperse it but doesn't mean they necessarily like eachother lol. I didn't notice much aggression to different species but definitly resisted to being pushed around by anyone. My male at the time put some teeth marks in them a few times always in their tail end. I assume they challenged him because he wasn't aggressive at all unless messed with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store