Lots of pics past and present

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
It looks good in there, one good thing about sa tanks is you have loads of options for tank mates.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
It looks good in there, one good thing about sa tanks is you have loads of options for tank mates.
Thanks Dan,
Yeah,that's the main reason I went for s/a cichlids. Definitely lots more choices of non cichlid tank mates than c/a fish.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think they would be fine with some centrals. if yours have learnt how to get a quick snack from eating scales,I would say no though.
Chalceus have big scales that would prove very tempting to fish that have become experienced in scale predation.
Chalceus can be jumpy and skittish if they are stressed out.
They are good with cichlids that ignore non cichlid tank mates.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Little update.

I've made a lot of changes recently. Some I am a little sad about.
I have let go of a lot of fish lately for various reasons.
First of all I have found a new home for my ray. This is the change I am most sad about. I loved the ray and for people dedicated enough and with a big enough tank,I highly recommend them.
My ray is now with an experienced keeper with a much bigger tank than mine.
At last she has the space she truly deserves. I'm sad to see her go but I know she is much better off as my plans for an upgrade went out the window after the house flooded.

I have also let go of all my heros and Oscar. I was getting tired of the constant aggression from the heros species and the Oscar also proved to be a very aggressive individual. These have also all been rehomed.
As far as big fish are concerned, I'm done.
I can't help but pity them these days and feel a 210 gallon is too restrictive to species over 6 inches.
Not preaching here,it's just my view on it.
I also find(to me at least) that larger fish always look out of scale in their surroundings. The overall look and the scape of the tank are important to me and I feel the smaller the fish the more convincing their environment can look.
Moving forward I have purchased a group of 11 Bolivian rams. I've always liked this species and love to watch the dynamics of a group of them. The tank is due a re scape and I will be building a biotope around my rams.
I'm hoping with such small cichlids I will be able to create a setting for them that is more like a home from home,rather than a tank with a few stones in it.
I am also hoping to see some natural behaviour and hopefully some spawning.
Most of all I am hoping I can watch my fish without feeling any sense of pity for them as I so often do.

Here are a few pics of my young rams just after being introduced.

_20171217_193435.JPG

_20171217_192845.JPG

_20171217_192552.JPG

I'm finding these guys just as feisty and entertaining as any large cichlids I have kept. I also feel confident that I can meet their space requirements, now and for life.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Looking forward to see how this progress, thought about doing a similar stock a few times,

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Looking forward to see how this progress, thought about doing a similar stock a few times,
I remember you saying Dan.
I find the idea very appealing. Planning on a very woody scape with lots of leaf litter and seed pods.
Will also be adding a large shoal of characins. Not decide on a species yet but bentosi tetra are biotope correct and could be a nice choice.
I may also add a trio of Apistogramma linkei as they are also biotope correct for this set up.

Reactions: dan518 and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
First off would like to say you absolutely made the true aquarium fish hobbyist decision to rehome your fish for the reasons you stated. I can't wait to see your Bolivian Ram and Apistogramma Biotope when it's completed.:) Btw I will be removing the Bolivian Rams into a separate aquarium due to aggressive behavior of the pair of Double Orange Apistogramma the aquarium is too small for both species.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
First off would like to say you absolutely made the true aquarium fish hobbyist decision to rehome your fish for the reasons you stated. I can't wait to see your Bolivian Ram and Apistogramma Biotope when it's completed.:) Btw I will be removing the Bolivian Rams into a separate aquarium due to aggressive behavior of the pair of Double Orange Apistogramma the aquarium is too small for both species.
Thanks Mr Lindsey.
Have you had any signs of spawning yet from any of your dwarfs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store