Office version 3.0

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Your background is awesome. You say carving and burning, is all the carving with the knife shown in the earlier picture, and is burning part of the carving or just sort of smoothing or sealing. If you could post a thread specifically about your next background build, I'd bet people would appreciate it, I know I would. Finding a start to finish DIY background thread is difficult, I'm not sure how many exist. Great job on this background, and the office!

Reactions: NathanKS

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Thanks. I do the carving with three different tools, the fillet knife shown in the earlier picture, then a 1" wide flat scraper, and then a bondo forming tool / body file which is basically about a 2" square metal screen mounted in a handle to use it. I use those to get the basic carving done then I go over it with a wood burner (soldiering iron with spade bit is all that is) and I add texture and deeper cuts & lines in it with that to give it some realistic rock details.

I did a step by step with pictures 3d background how-to for my cichlid club's website about 2 years ago, when I get a chance I'll try to copy & paste some of that here for you. I would link you to it but I dunno how the admin of MFK feels about people linking to other fish forums so don't want to do that without knowing. I can send you the link in a PM if you would like.

Reactions: jaws7777

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Looking awesome. I started in on a huge 3D floor/background today. But not nearly as far along yet. Just ruffed it in with a chainsaw. I have several foam rock floats laying around so used one.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
I really like your den/office. I am in the very early stages of building mine. Mine will also have a fishing sub theme. I have a taxidermied 36" Lake Trout that I will be mounting above my 135g when all is said and done.

Reactions: Steve_C

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Looking good. Have you ever attempted an tree root/stump backgrounds? Like something you would see coming off of river bank? I think something like that would look good in an African river themed tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store