New pick up - P14 hybrid

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
They are stunning G Galantspeedz !!!

All the best with the new kids.. you certainly have your hands full for a while!!

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
They are stunning G Galantspeedz !!!

All the best with the new kids.. you certainly have your hands full for a while!!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Nice looking pups! Will you grow the BD and P14 hybrids together?

To answer your questions about water changes I do things differently than some. I prefer very large 70-90% water changes 1-2 times weekly on tanks without drip systems. Because of the frequency, I have found the fish tolerate the schedule and fresh water very well. These larger volumes would not work if I did the water changes less frequently, as the parameter swings would be more severe. This also would not work well in a lightly stocked tank. I find the large changes flush out so much waste that the beneficial bacteria can crash in the absence of fish waste and cause a mini cycle in lightly stocked tanks.

I would increase your 20-30% to 50% minimum. I think you should also periodically test your nitrate and parameters and see if it creeps up over time. Use this as a guide as to increasing your water change volume and frequency.

You have 5 rays in around 250 total gallons of water. That's a dense stocking, keep that water clean.

Nearly all of my tanks and ponds have drip systems. On those I will do 1 large water change around 80% once every month or two. I drip more heavily than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matteus and MariaS

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Nice looking pups! Will you grow the BD and P14 hybrids together?

To answer your questions about water changes I do things differently than some. I prefer very large 70-90% water changes 1-2 times weekly on tanks without drip systems. Because of the frequency, I have found the fish tolerate the schedule and fresh water very well. These larger volumes would not work if I did the water changes less frequently, as the parameter swings would be more severe. This also would not work well in a lightly stocked tank. I find the large changes flush out so much waste that the beneficial bacteria can crash in the absence of fish waste and cause a mini cycle in lightly stocked tanks.

I would increase your 20-30% to 50% minimum. I think you should also periodically test your nitrate and parameters and see if it creeps up over time. Use this as a guide as to increasing your water change volume and frequency.

You have 5 rays in around 250 total gallons of water. That's a dense stocking, keep that water clean.

Nearly all of my tanks and ponds have drip systems. On those I will do 1 large water change around 80% once every month or two. I drip more heavily than most.
thanks Dieselhybrid,

yes i am keeping the BD and P14 hybrids together.

Surprised to know that 5 pups are dense stocking.... was thinking it be dense only when they are mid teens

intend to test water every 3 days for a start to get an idea on how much nitrates i will be having to decide on water change schedule, currently doing 20-30% every couple of days.... will slowly increase to 50%

As my tanks are in the car porch, pretty hard to keep things neat with a drip system lol

would do larger water change when the pups are older and more stable.... can't bear to lose these pups

thanks for yours and MariaS guidance

Reactions: MariaS

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Thanks MariaS

Fed them last night and this morning and they are eating like pigs.... very different from the p14 hybrid pair
That's awesome!!!!

Its such a pleasure when they eat like piggy's.
Just keep an eye that the BD's are not wolfing up all the food and make sure the P14 are getting enough

Really awesome pups!!

Reactions: Matteus

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I noticed the p14 hybrid react faster when I drop food in... and by the time the bd pups react to it, the p14s would have their fill

Realised the p14 male is now more greedy and eat more while the female still not eating alot

But overall food consumption has increased and they are quite active , climbing the side of the tank and playing around

Reactions: Matteus

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
My p14 male is now most active... moving round the tank all the time

I have a wavemaker in the tank and wondering if I should turn it on.....

Did a test on water today. Nitrates at 20ppm. Rest 0. Did 40% WC thereafter

Thoughts please?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store