The most stubborn fish I've had to deal with!

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
I just wen't down to my LFS looking for a new pleco. I happened to find one awesome looking spotted rubber lip pleco. I brought him home and floated him in my aquarium for 15 minutes to let him acclimate while i did a water change. I went to go dump him out of his bag into a net that was sitting over a bucket and he had suctioned himself to the bag! I freaked out and reached into pull him out when he squirmed out of my hand (luckily he fell in the bucket which had enough water in it for him to breath)! At that point I relaxed and realized all I had t do was get him out of the bucket. Piece of cake right? Wrong! No matter what I did he would not unsuction from the bottom. I tried pushing him with the net, with my hand (their mouth really do feel like rubber, and his body was a weird texture) , everything. I even tilted the bucket to see if he would unsuction but had no luck. I decided I would have to pry him up. I took my finger and very carefully got them under his belly and then tugged on him ever so slightly. After about 30 seconds of that he let go and i quickly put him into my tank. He swam straight to the bottom. He luckily is fine and since has been moving around and is pretty active in his new home. Can't wait to watch him grow. I wonder if he will always be so stubborn? I've got to admit plecos are some of my favorite fish. I would recommend being careful when moving these guys into a new tank.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I've got to admit plecos are some of my favorite fish. I would recommend being careful when moving these guys into a new tank.
You don't need to be that careful. First thing is to not panic just because he's sucked onto the bag. He's not going to suffocate for at least a half hour maybe 2 hours. Just shake the bag over the tank and call him whatever names and inventive insults to his parentage you can think of until he comes loose.

ygwilliam

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2017
California
You don't need to be that careful. First thing is to not panic just because he's sucked onto the bag. He's not going to suffocate for at least a half hour maybe 2 hours. Just shake the bag over the tank and call him whatever names and inventive insults to his parentage you can think of until he comes loose.
Well you should be careful with any animal. I like the idea of insulting him though :p

Reactions: RocketGarStar

FishEZ

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 16, 2017
Brampton, Ontario
www.fishez.ca
Thanks for sharing your ordeal, I think we've all had those moments of panic. I was in the fish room one day and behind me was a noise, and then I realized a Barb had jumped out and was flopping around behind the tank. Well, the problem was that he went into an area that I couldn't get to. So I was in this quick panic mode to get him before he suffocated. Well, as it turns out, he survived and I was able to grab him, but he was covered in dust-bunnies and quite in shock. He survived just fine. After that I made sure the tank was always covered.

Reactions: Davidiator

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Lol pleco story actually made me chuckle.

Reactions: J. H.

RocketGarStar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Some of these stories remind me of when I was measuring my fish (I do this every 6 months to check for growth). I had just bought my featherfin snydontis catfish and was excited to see how much he'd grown... I had no idea that they can croak! So I have him pinned to a damp towel and I'm trying to watch out for spines, hold him safely, and use the tape measure, when, suddenly, he started croaking! I'm pretty sure I almost wet myself... He literally flew out of my hands... And onto the hard tile floor.
He was fine, but had a big ole scar on his head for a while. It scared the bejeezus out of me, for sure, and I'm a lot more careful with all of my fish.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
I personally LOVE plecos

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store