Controlling Operating Cost on a Large Koi Pond

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Why do I enjoy watching this as much as watching the fish?
This is the backwash of the Ultima after one week.

image1.JPG

Reactions: MrsE88

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I just noticed today how the two Ultimas are plumbed together. It is not in parallel or in series but something in between. The guy that did this is a genius.
Water from the pump is split 50/50 to each filter. The water coming out of one filter goes back into the second filter which allows it to be double filtered before returning to the pond. Double filter means better water clarity?
There's a picture of it at the beginning of the thread.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Bump. Any updates?
Thank you for the interest.

I was just there yesterday but did not get any photos. I will get some next week to update.

Pond is doing great. Fish and plants are very healthy. Now that the weather has warmed up the Ultima filters are feeling an increase in bio load. They have to be flushed every week. After one week, the flow is decreased by 50%. This has caused a problem with water lost at the foot of the waterfall. The water returning to the pond at a reduced rate would stick to the wall and spill onto the coping. The pump has been turning back up to 3000rpm to see if the area will dry up. RPM may have to be adjust throughout the year to accommodate the seasonal load on the filter/flow rate. There is a noticeable in energy savings operating at a lower rpm.

Plants in the pond are blooming. Lots of iris, watercress, hawthorn, elephant ear and lilies.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thank you for the interest.

I was just there yesterday but did not get any photos. I will get some next week to update.

Pond is doing great. Fish and plants are very healthy. Now that the weather has warmed up the Ultima filters are feeling an increase in bio load. They have to be flushed every week. After one week, the flow is decreased by 50%. This has caused a problem with water lost at the foot of the waterfall. The water returning to the pond at a reduced rate would stick to the wall and spill onto the coping. The pump has been turning back up to 3000rpm to see if the area will dry up. RPM may have to be adjust throughout the year to accommodate the seasonal load on the filter/flow rate. There is a noticeable in energy savings operating at a lower rpm.

Plants in the pond are blooming. Lots of iris, watercress, hawthorn, elephant ear and lilies.
The more plants the better I've found, as long as pump produces flow and plants are healthy then natural filtration occurs.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
clm08k clm08k

Nice sunny day. Here's a video from today prior to cleaning.
Running the pump at 3000rpm this past week didn't stop the water lost at the water fall. Turns out there are cracks in the stone work near the spill weir. However, what I also learned is the Ultima filters were not as dirty today. My guess is not as much particles are not being trapped at the higher flow rate/rpm. The pump is set back to 1800rpm to continue electricity savings and improved mechanical filtration.

dgsxdad

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2007
San Francisco
One awesome pond!!! Great work on the maintenence side of it too. I'm definitely interested in the filtration part of it. Any way to save $ while keeping your fish healthy is always a plus. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store