Papyrocranus afer (reticulated african knifefish) question...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Debating if I should get more than one. If there is no chance of them breeding, I might just get the biggest one.
Two of them nicely spotted would make for an impressive display.Breeding might be nice but there is not much of a demand for these guys as it is though I have no idea why. They are the best looking knife fish in my opinion.

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Not that I know of.
Debating if I should get more than one. If there is no chance of them breeding, I might just get the biggest one.
Two of them nicely spotted would make for an impressive display.Breeding might be nice but there is not much of a demand for these guys as it is though I have no idea why. They are the best looking knife fish in my opinion.
I greatly appreciate your input. Are these rare? Should i get two regardless? These are the first I’ve ever seen of these. I’ve only ever seen the brown ones.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

I greatly appreciate your input. Are these rare? Should i get two regardless? These are the first I’ve ever seen of these. I’ve only ever seen the brown ones.
Thank you, I enjoy talking about them and hope that they become more popular in the hobby.I guess I'd call them rare as it seems that most shops dont bother bringing them in if they are availible. There is another species that has dark stripes or striations rather than light colored spots.

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
JK47 JK47 will be my wingman on Saturday when we check them out. I'll leave it up to him if I get 1 or 2 :p

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 will be my wingman on Saturday when we check them out. I'll leave it up to him if I get 1 or 2 :p
I can bring one of the kids if we need someone to make a responsible adult decision.

Reactions: justarn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store