Snakes

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
That happens, my 6ft boa seems small now, seriously tho any snake over 8ft should only be handled with two people so make sure you have someone dude. Gonna be a fun ride, hope you stick with him long term. What's his name?
Haven't named him yet. I've been working on the name though. I have him, my kingsnake, and a planted fish tank in my office where I work. My personal office space at work is 8ft by 13ft so when he gets bigger I'll put him in a 6'x3' cage on one of the 8' walls. I have other guys here that could help me if I got in a bind. They're all terrified of snakes though, not sure how much help they would be but if it was an emergency they'd help me.

Reactions: justarn

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
Beautiful snake! I've always been a fan of goldenchilds.

Wow gorgeous, I can't wait till dwarfs get all the colour morphs;-)
There's quite a few people in the US with "dwarf" morphs now, though it's mostly ~50% so they're still getting a decent size. Although even pure dwarf localities reach a decent size when fed the way they are in captivity.

Thanks everyone. I went in wanting to buy a dwarf or super dwarf and ended up getting this guy. Males get smaller than females and if you don't feed it like a garbage disposal it won't get "as" big. Now I'm not delusional, he's going to get large, but I plan on keeping him healthy and small. So I'm not going to starve him but I'm going to feed him what he needs and that's it.
Good idea with the feeding... Most of the retics are way over fed anyways.

Same! Although this will likely be my last snake. These two are definitely my top two favorite snakes and I want them to have the best care I can give them. I've learned how much time I can devote by having 10 or so fish tanks at once. I find the more I have the less care they get and I get burned out.
Hehehe "last snake". Last time I was said that was 10 snakes ago :p

Feed him in a container outside his cage so he doesn't associate things coming in his cage as food.
He is still going to strike (it IS a retic after all :p). Feeding in another bin is an unneeded stressor and really doesn't prevent anything. It also becomes a safety hazard when it gets a decent size. Don't move him unless you absolutely have to.

Keep him well fed, most fatal python incidents involve underfed snakes,NEVER underfeed a large constrictor.
What do you consider underfeeding? These snakes may only eat a couple times a year in the wild. The problem is not underfeeding, as they will act hungry hours after a large meal. The main problem is allowing them to only associate you with food and nothing else.

I'm also going to use the paper towel roll approach when I open the cage. I see that used a lot by the pros. I'm getting a hook soon too.
The only thing I'm not ready for is handling a 13ft snake. You can't be ready for that until you have a big snake and as he grows I'll learn. I'm going to train him now while he's small so when he's big he'll be tame. They have a really strong feeding response so you have to be careful.
Speaking from personal experience (so take the anecdote as you want), the paper towel roll approach can get dangerous fairly quickly. Their strike range is easily longer than the paper roll, and their reaction time is faster than you are. It works fairly well with burms as they are a bit more sedentary than retics, but still not overly safe.

Instead, use the hook. Before touching him, tap/rub him on the head with the hook (get one with a decent length), then reach in and pick him up. This will teach him to associate the hook with handling, and not food. When feeding, don't use the hook, and just feed with tongs (an absolute necessity with the bigger retics).

As you've mentioned, retics have an insane feeding response, and it's this mixed with a complacent keeper that results in problems. I've had them miss their prey, grab me, and completely wrap my torso; arms and all. It was a nice hug, but not fun when co-workers are at the other side of the facility. Practice with the hook as much as you can, even with the kingsnake; it's going to be your new best friend by the time the retic gets bigger. You'll also need a bigger/stronger hook when it gets bigger. I've seen them snap the standard hooks like a twig.

Handling a 13ft snake isn't too bad once you get used to it (just need to watch where the head is!), but as others have mentioned, it's significantly safer with 2 people provided the other person is capable of handling it. When they reach closer to 20', it gets a bit more dodgy.

Oh, and keep a little alcohol nearby incase it latches on. They hate the smell/taste. You'll also need some after :p.

Reactions: jwd and justarn

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
Beautiful snake! I've always been a fan of goldenchilds.

There's quite a few people in the US with "dwarf" morphs now, though it's mostly ~50% so they're still getting a decent size. Although even pure dwarf localities reach a decent size when fed the way they are in captivity.

Good idea with the feeding... Most of the retics are way over fed anyways.

Hehehe "last snake". Last time I was said that was 10 snakes ago :p

He is still going to strike (it IS a retic after all :p). Feeding in another bin is an unneeded stressor and really doesn't prevent anything. It also becomes a safety hazard when it gets a decent size. Don't move him unless you absolutely have to.

What do you consider underfeeding? These snakes may only eat a couple times a year in the wild. The problem is not underfeeding, as they will act hungry hours after a large meal. The main problem is allowing them to only associate you with food and nothing else.

Speaking from personal experience (so take the anecdote as you want), the paper towel roll approach can get dangerous fairly quickly. Their strike range is easily longer than the paper roll, and their reaction time is faster than you are. It works fairly well with burms as they are a bit more sedentary than retics, but still not overly safe.

Instead, use the hook. Before touching him, tap/rub him on the head with the hook (get one with a decent length), then reach in and pick him up. This will teach him to associate the hook with handling, and not food. When feeding, don't use the hook, and just feed with tongs (an absolute necessity with the bigger retics).

As you've mentioned, retics have an insane feeding response, and it's this mixed with a complacent keeper that results in problems. I've had them miss their prey, grab me, and completely wrap my torso; arms and all. It was a nice hug, but not fun when co-workers are at the other side of the facility. Practice with the hook as much as you can, even with the kingsnake; it's going to be your new best friend by the time the retic gets bigger. You'll also need a bigger/stronger hook when it gets bigger. I've seen them snap the standard hooks like a twig.

Handling a 13ft snake isn't too bad once you get used to it (just need to watch where the head is!), but as others have mentioned, it's significantly safer with 2 people provided the other person is capable of handling it. When they reach closer to 20', it gets a bit more dodgy.

Oh, and keep a little alcohol nearby incase it latches on. They hate the smell/taste. You'll also need some after :p.
Thanks! Goldenchild morphs are my all time favorite. I got him from Prehistoric Pets. Check them out on Youtube! Yes, "last snake" won't last too long lol but it will be quite a while until I get another. The snake I have to have one day is a cow retic. I want to buy it from Kevin McCurley at NERD. Thank you for all of the helpful information. Can I just buy the big hook now. I've been looking at them lately. I've read a little about the alcohol thing but can you explain what you mean exactly?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks! Goldenchild morphs are my all time favorite. I got him from Prehistoric Pets. Check them out on Youtube! Yes, "last snake" won't last too long lol but it will be quite a while until I get another. The snake I have to have one day is a cow retic. I want to buy it from Kevin McCurley at NERD. Thank you for all of the helpful information. Can I just buy the big hook now. I've been looking at them lately. I've read a little about the alcohol thing but can you explain what you mean exactly?
Wow some really bad info on here: feed adults every week or two, this is actually more akin to actual wild food frequency.
Never hold large boids with a hook, this can result in breaking their ribs.

Feed larger snakes in bins, this isn't gonna stress your snake.

Keeping bourbon or vodka on hand can save your life (beer isn't very effective), when they attack just pour some it their mouth (this is less effective with other snake groups), other methods that can help stop a python from constricting you include twisting the tail and pouring hot water on the snake.

Note : a long item can be used to gently tap on the snake before handling it, this prevents you from being bit by a startled snake, a broomstick handle works.

Snakes don't like being held behind the head, so try not to do this.

Reactions: jwd

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
Wow some really bad info on here: feed adults every week or two, this is actually more akin to actual wild food frequency.
Never hold large boids with a hook, this can result in breaking their ribs.
Bad info? I think there was a misunderstanding.

1. I never said to only feed them a couple times a year in captivity, I used an extreme case, and asked you what you considered underfeeding. Obviously they (and especially neonates) usually eat more often, and should be fed far more often than that in captivity.

2. I never said to hold an adult retic with a hook. However, a hook can be incredibly valuable to help guide the snake. It's not like people would be able to hold a hook up with an adult retic on it anyways.

Feed larger snakes in bins, this isn't gonna stress your snake.
It is an unneeded safety hazard with larger snakes and completely unnecessary. This may teach it that when you take it out, it's going to get fed. If you don't plan on feeding it everytime you take it out, this might lead to an unwanted bite. I've seen way too many bin-fed snakes bite people because of this.

Keeping bourbon or vodka on hand can save your life (beer isn't very effective), when they attack just pour some it their mouth (this is less effective with other snake groups), other methods that can help stop a python from constricting you include twisting the tail and pouring hot water on the snake.
I usually use it in a spray bottle; it doesn't take much for them to let go, especially if it's a particularly strong alcohol.

Note : a long item can be used to gently tap on the snake before handling it, this prevents you from being bit by a startled snake, a broomstick handle works.
Like... a hook?

Snakes don't like being held behind the head, so try not to do this.
Never suggested this.

GC are definitely up there for me aswell. I also really like the white phase albino. I'm not a big morph guy, but a clean white phase albino at 15' is just amazing.

You can buy the big hook now, but I'd still get the smaller one (like the standard sized hooks). While it will not be useful for the retic once it gets bigger, it'll help you get used to it while it's smaller. Then it'll make a good field herping hook :p.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwd

jwd

Aimara
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2016
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

I measured him today. He's 30". He's already bigger than my almost 1 year old black kingsnake!

Yeah, I'll feed him an approiate sized rodent every 5-7 days lol.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Bad info? I think there was a misunderstanding.

1. I never said to only feed them a couple times a year in captivity, I used an extreme case, and asked you what you considered underfeeding. Obviously they (and especially neonates) usually eat more often, and should be fed far more often than that in captivity.

2. I never said to hold an adult retic with a hook. However, a hook can be incredibly valuable to help guide the snake. It's not like people would be able to hold a hook up with an adult retic on it anyways.

It is an unneeded safety hazard with larger snakes and completely unnecessary. This may teach it that when you take it out, it's going to get fed. If you don't plan on feeding it everytime you take it out, this might lead to an unwanted bite. I've seen way too many bin-fed snakes bite people because of this.

I usually use it in a spray bottle; it doesn't take much for them to let go, especially if it's a particularly strong alcohol.

Like... a hook?

Never suggested this.

GC are definitely up there for me aswell. I also really like the white phase albino. I'm not a big morph guy, but a clean white phase albino at 15' is just amazing.

You can buy the big hook now, but I'd still get the smaller one (like the standard sized hooks). While it will not be useful for the retic once it gets bigger, it'll help you get used to it while it's smaller. Then it'll make a good field herping hook :p.
Sorry I didn't mean that as an attack on you, just clearing up the water.

And I recommended the broomstick over the hook because they are 1. Much cheaper, and 2. Often longer.

Still disagree on the feeding method, no one has been killed with the bin method, quite a few have been killed with the "let's feed them in the tank" method.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Haven't named him yet. I've been working on the name though. I have him, my kingsnake, and a planted fish tank in my office where I work. My personal office space at work is 8ft by 13ft so when he gets bigger I'll put him in a 6'x3' cage on one of the 8' walls. I have other guys here that could help me if I got in a bind. They're all terrified of snakes though, not sure how much help they would be but if it was an emergency they'd help me.
Name him Fluffy. Imagine if a friend comes over. You're like "Hey you wanna see Fluffy?" and he gets super excited but then you start leading him into the snake room and he gets all confused until you show him that "Fluffy" is a 20 foot long reticulated python.
If the other guys are scared of snakes, a cute nickname could help with the phobia. It makes asking for help hilarious too. "Now remember, don't let him coil around your neck or Fluffy might strangle you".

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Name him Fluffy. Imagine if a friend comes over. You're like "Hey you wanna see Fluffy?" and he gets super excited but then you start leading him into the snake room and he gets all confused until you show him that "Fluffy" is a 20 foot long reticulated python.
If the other guys are scared of snakes, a cute nickname could help with the phobia. It makes asking for help hilarious too. "Now remember, don't let him coil around your neck or Fluffy might strangle you".
Other funny names:
Noodles.
Spaghetti boi.
Ramen.
Bananers.
Long john.
Floppy.
Angel hair.
Golden boy.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member