Fluval Bug Bites

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Not impressed with it. See links posted above for further detail as to why.

juddb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
washington
I just got some today for the fish who arent quick enough get food from the surface, so everyone on the bottom went nuts for this stuff and all the greedy bigger top feeders were hella confused. Good stuff, glad i got it

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
By the way love that avatar trimapit. Looks like a big one
Thank you. He was a beautiful F1 Rio Naranjo. But i was dumb and sold him.... Thankfully, i still have a female growout from him that hopefully i will be able to get a spawn from.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, fly larvae can be eco friendly. So what? I'm personally not trying to save the planet by keeping fish in a glass box. lol

My only interest in a fish food is it's nutritional profile, to which, IMO this food fails.

When presented using names such as "bug bites" consumers believe they are feeding insects (Black Soldier Fly) to their fish, when in reality they are feeding BSF larvae, along with a mix of potatoes. peas, wheat, etc. The nutritional composition of BSF larvae depend at least partially on the composition of their feeding medium, so what those larvae are fed on the BSF farm will partially reflect what their nutritional profile is. Obviously this will vary, as will the maximum inclusion rate in feed among various fish species.

These novel sources of protein are specifically designed to lower feed costs, by reducing and/or replacing fish protein. But at the end of the day, nothing truly replaces the protein, fat, and natural growth enhancing substances found in wild fish. Even in this product the second ingredient listed by weight is Fish Protein Concentrate. With regards to feeding fish, seafood such as fish, krill, shrimp, etc, along with aquatic based plant matter will always be nutritionally superior to fly larvae and potatoes, but at some point in the future the cost of those ingredients may outweigh their nutrient profile with some portions of this hobby. If the day ever comes that I can't afford to feed quality foods to my fish, I'll shut my tanks down and find a different hobby.

Trimapit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 12, 2017
Texas
I understand the thought process R.D. but i dont have as much of a Damn the world look on it. Now i never said i was only goong to feed this food as a soul source of Nutrients. But i do like the idea of including more insects into the diet. I do feed mealworms, superworms, crickets, red worms, etc to my fish. But i think adding things to the diet doesn't hurt. Fish eat anything and everything in the wild. So a varied diet is always best IMO.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Feeding a varied diet of low quality foodstuffs does not equate to being best. (such as terrestrial based plant matter)

My fish all eat a varied diet, I suspect that most would eat rabbit turds if I tossed them into their tank, which would also be eco-friendly, but that doesn't make them a nutritionally sound food.

If one is already feeding whole foods such as crickets, mealworms, superworms, worms, etc. feeding a dry food such as Bug Bites makes zero sense from a nutritional standpoint. That's not a damn the world viewpoint, that's just using common sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store