My M. Circumcinctus (half-banded spiny eel)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I posted for ID help when I first got this guy at a skinny 2" at the beginning of February, and thought I'd do a few updates here as he grew. He was labeled as a Peacock, but I thought different and was happy to get confirmation that he's a half-banded, since they're supposed to be more active and less shy.

This little guy (Mr. Wiggles - a tribute to Parliament) has been outgoing, definitely out and about during the day, and has not been shy to eat since day one, and that's not changed at all. Even when I do tank maintenance and am mucking around with plants, he's still out and about even with my hands in the tank. I haven't started to try hand-feeding but I'm sure I could get him to with just a little effort.

Beginning of Feb:
9C6DB4F9-D279-4353-B2C8-9BD42E29330C.jpeg

Video of him back then digging around for tiny MTS. He still does this. I am fairly certain he eats them.

And today, he's definitely thicker. He's longer too, but I'll have to give a measurement later as the lights are currently off and he's tucked under a leaf.

Speaking of which, he enjoys the leaf litter in the tank, so I'd recommend throwing some in for those interested in these guys.

It's hard to get really crisp shots of the little guy!
IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

He'll hang out in random positions.
IMG_4030.JPG

Anyway, I'll put in some updates here and there as he gets larger.

Great little eel - highly recommend this species! I never did get him buddies as was discussed in the other thread because I'm not sure I'll upgrade past the 20 long for these fish (I enjoy this small little microcosm tank). That being said, I've been told that they tend to enjoy each others company and don't seem to have the inter-species aggression that other spiny eels can have.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice update. The eel is looking good.

Reactions: magpie

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Look like it’s standing on it’s tip toes.

Slambo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2018
What are you feeding your spiny. mines been on live bloodworms and seems interested in nothing eles. I'm worried hes not getting food as hes gone from really active to quiet.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
magpie magpie this thread has really inspired me. I have been looking at eels for about 2-3 months now. Reading this has really made me want one that much more. Now today I am going to be doing an Id thread because I’m not sure if I trust the lfs labels or employees. Lol. Thank you for sharing your eel journey.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store