Need help with my channa aurantimaculata!

Natashasamadi

Feeder Fish
Oct 16, 2017
My golden cobra was very active and ate and all..

Yesterday he suddently stopped eating and stopped being active aswell. I checked the water and there is nothing wrong with the water.

Does anyone know why he is so down? Please help me :(

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
What size is the fish? I find as theu reach maturity, they move around less and like to hide in caveals/plants for long periods, then browse the tank for a while.They can become unhappy if the water temperature is too high. 20-22°c as an average summer temperatue and as low as 14°c in winter are what I keep mine at. Is he new? He might have finished exploring his surroundings and taking things slower. I wouldn't worry about him not eating for a few days, he might just be full. Adults feed less than juveniles

Natashasamadi

Feeder Fish
Oct 16, 2017
G Gazham Thank you for your reply.

The thing is he is just floating and dont even react when we call him. He wont even look not even if we tap on the glass abit. He used to come and he was very aggressive.. now he doesnt even move or react at all. Can it be a internal bacteria?

He look so depressed.
We have had him for 2 months ish.
We only feed him pallets (carnivore and massivore hikari sinking pallets)

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I can try to help if you answer a few questions:
- Where are you from, and what is the temperature of the tank?
- Does he have tank mates?
- Does he have plants, like loads of them?
- Do you have an available supply of insects, live preferably? Crickets, morio worms, etc.

Natashasamadi

Feeder Fish
Oct 16, 2017
- Im currently in Sri Lanka
- the temperature is 28 :/
- he do not have any tank mates
- yes he have plants and stocks a few
- yes I have access to worms and insects :)

Thank you so much for replying and I hope you can help me

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
The temperature is too high i think. He is subtropical, 14°c to 24°c is what I keep mine at. You can try using a chiller on your aquarium or air condition the room your tank is in. Kept at higher temperatures the will probably end up dying.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique

Alright, so Sri Lanka is very hot, but the real reason I asked is to know what your seasons are. Afaik, they're based mostly on monsoons, and don't really mimic the normal "winter-summer" cycle, which might make things tricky.

You might need a chiller. 28°C is way too high, and the higher the temperature, especially if exposed for a prolonged period of time, the bigger the chances of fungal infections. High temps make them ill, basically.

I believe he might take some insects, as to not starve itself to death (live, preferably, wiggling helps stimulate their appetite and hunting reflexes), but he will need cooler water, and ultimately, he will need his tank's temperature to mimic the seasons. Peaks during "summer" of 24-26°C tops, and lows of 14-18°C in winter.

Until you get a chiller, you could try frequently replacing "warm" water with colder water from your tap, but I don't know what yours nights are like, you can obviously not do this 24/7.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
+1 - temps are way too high they’ll only tolerate high temps for a few months, then they’ll become lethargic , then eventually infections start, and eventually death.

Ash_water

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2018
Colombo Sri Lanka
instagram.com

Hi Natasha.

I am from Sri Lanka as well. I have two golden cobras. Have faced similar situtions. I have found few ways to overcome them without a chiller. Please update me on your fish. Want to know how things turned out. Also maybe I can give you some tips as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store