When to re-seal?

Titanicaquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2008
WI
I have a 180gal allglass aquarium that I've torn down and plan to move across the house. While I have it dry should I redo the inner seal?

I bought it new and it's been in service for ~15 years. It has some algae etc under the silicone edges of the inner seal, just isn't super appealing to look at. The silicone between the glass is still very flexible, doesn't appear to be brittle.

I know a lot of folks run much larger glass tanks for far longer and most failures leak before exploding but am I just being paranoid? Can I do more harm than good by replacing them early?

Thanks for you input :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Some recommend redoing the seals every 10 years, think it was tlindsey tlindsey

Will let the experts chime in, but if you can do a proper silicon job I'm sure it won't hurt?

Puffer Fish Boi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
I personally would reseal it once the silicone becomes brittle or starts to peel away, but it's recommended to reseal tanks after 10-20 years

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
If you’ve had water in it the entire time, I’d say you’re much better off than if it was stored dry. The only tanks I’ve ever had leak are ones that were stored dry outside. The temperature fluctuations and lack of moisture caused the silicone to dry out.
I’m no pro but I’d say you’re okay. However, can’t put a price on peace of mind!

Reactions: Go_redfish

Puffer Fish Boi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
If you’ve had water in it the entire time, I’d say you’re much better off than if it was stored dry. The only tanks I’ve ever had leak are ones that were stored dry outside. The temperature fluctuations and lack of moisture caused the silicone to dry out.
I’m no pro but I’d say you’re okay. However, can’t put a price on peace of mind!
agreed, when I was getting a figure 8 puffer I got a 29 gallon tank that was dry for years and the silicone was peeling off and brittle in some places. It does seem to be the dry ones that are affected the most though.

Reactions: Rob909

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Since it's broken down and empty, you should take the opportunity to reseal it if you are inclined and if you have the skill and patience.

If like me you suck at stripping old silicone away or applying silicone, and if you have funds available, you can sell it and buy a new one for 10-20 years of peace of mind.

In the future, you can also set aside a little money every month for a replacement tank as soon as you buy your new one, then all you'll need to do is buy a brand new tank completely once the seals start to go in 10-20 years :) Depends on the size of the tank, you may have to adjust the amount you put away from $3-$15 a month.

Last edited:

Titanicaquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2008
WI
Since it's broken down and empty, you should take the opportunity to reseal it if you are inclined and if you have the skill and patience.

If like me you suck at stripping old silicone away or applying silicone, and if you have funds available, you can sell it and buy a new one for 10-20 years of peace of mind.

In the future, you can also set aside a little money every month for a replacement tank as soon as you buy your new one, then all you'll need to do is buy a brand new tank completely once the seals start to go in 10-20 years :) Depends on the size of the tank, you may have to adjust the amount you put away from $3-$15 a month.

I have been considering this for some time, ideally I'd like to go with a 300ish gal acrylic for the peace of mind.

Puffer Fish Boi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018

agreed

Titanicaquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2008
WI
So maybe this is another dumb question but since I don't build tanks I don't know....

Does the strength of the tank depend on the silicone to hold the glass panes together or is that done entirely by the frame?

I assume the seal between the panes is both structural and sealant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store