Leo the fst

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
My husband and I have been interested in turtles for a while now and just recently decided to take the plunge.
The push to get the Florida softshell came after visiting my favorite fish shop. The owner had a beautiful softshell that wasn’t marked for sale because the owner is so fond of it. My husband talked with him for some time and the owner finally gave a number. First making it very clear that he has rejected many offers and has only one other person he trusts to sell it to. His offer was very fair, but not what I wanted to pay at the time. Plus the turtle was already 9”+ And I get a lot of satisfaction from growing my pets out myself. I feel more closely bonded to them then.

Anyway, we found a site with some fst for sale. Because of the holiday he didn’t ship till Monday night. Just before bed last night I saw he was at an airport in Florida, and by this afternoon I was able to go pick him up!
This was the first time I’ve had a pet shipped so I was holding my breath till I was able to open his box and be sure he made the trip ok.
My heart stopped when I pulled out his little plastic dish. He was covered in paper fuzz and not moving.
Then to my relief, I saw him move his foot! Then he opened his eyes!
BA7FAEA9-11C0-4606-B87E-85CB93D8BE52.jpeg
He is alive! So very happy and relieved!
Once I got him home I had some work to finish up on his tank, so I cleaned him up a bit and he hung out in my fry tank. Then I moved him back to his shipping dish filled with just enough water to reach his shell. In there he happily downed 5 turtle pellets!
All cleaned up.
96522ED5-BDCE-4EE6-A2F7-F038DFBDE496.jpeg
C9BB5567-61C3-4DAA-BEFE-6B2056F723A3.jpeg
I took measurements for my records and to chart his growth.
Leonardo; Leo for short, is 1 11/16in long and he is 3 3/4in around.

I’m excited about this new journey, and hope to be a good turtle mom!
I’ve been trying to read as much as I can, but I haven’t found a lot of people sharing their experience and care of these adorable little guys.
So if anyone has any pointers, experience, or maybe info not readily found when google general info I’d love to hear it!

I’ll be using this thread to track his progress and growth over time.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My husband and I have been interested in turtles for a while now and just recently decided to take the plunge.
The push to get the Florida softshell came after visiting my favorite fish shop. The owner had a beautiful softshell that wasn’t marked for sale because the owner is so fond of it. My husband talked with him for some time and the owner finally gave a number. First making it very clear that he has rejected many offers and has only one other person he trusts to sell it to. His offer was very fair, but not what I wanted to pay at the time. Plus the turtle was already 9”+ And I get a lot of satisfaction from growing my pets out myself. I feel more closely bonded to them then.

Anyway, we found a site with some fst for sale. Because of the holiday he didn’t ship till Monday night. Just before bed last night I saw he was at an airport in Florida, and by this afternoon I was able to go pick him up!
This was the first time I’ve had a pet shipped so I was holding my breath till I was able to open his box and be sure he made the trip ok.
My heart stopped when I pulled out his little plastic dish. He was covered in paper fuzz and not moving.
Then to my relief, I saw him move his foot! Then he opened his eyes!
View attachment 1346490
He is alive! So very happy and relieved!
Once I got him home I had some work to finish up on his tank, so I cleaned him up a bit and he hung out in my fry tank. Then I moved him back to his shipping dish filled with just enough water to reach his shell. In there he happily downed 5 turtle pellets!
All cleaned up.
View attachment 1346489
View attachment 1346491
I took measurements for my records and to chart his growth.
Leonardo; Leo for short, is 1 11/16in long and he is 3 3/4in around.

I’m excited about this new journey, and hope to be a good turtle mom!
I’ve been trying to read as much as I can, but I haven’t found a lot of people sharing their experience and care of these adorable little guys.
So if anyone has any pointers, experience, or maybe info not readily found when google general info I’d love to hear it!

I’ll be using this thread to track his progress and growth over time.

Nice pickup and he is cute but treat him like a snapping turtle. Soft Shells bite and their necks are very flexible.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Nice pickup and he is cute but treat him like a snapping turtle. Soft Shells bite and their necks are very flexible.
Thank you, and will do.
Right now he is so small he hasn’t attempted to bite, but I’m sure it’s just a matter of time till he does.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
He still will make an interesting pet.:)
I’m sure he will too:)
I’ve been checking on him constantly since I brought him home. He is so spunky and interesting to watch. And a little pig. I saw him try to eat a snail the size of his eye! I removed the snail after that. I’m sure in time he’ll munch them down just fine, but he just seems too small to take them on right now. Lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’m sure he will too:)
I’ve been checking on him constantly since I brought him home. He is so spunky and interesting to watch. And a little pig. I saw him try to eat a snail the size of his eye! I removed the snail after that. I’m sure in time he’ll munch them down just fine, but he just seems too small to take them on right now. Lol

Yes he will help keep Ramshorn snail population under control lol.

Reactions: Jexnell and MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Well, I feel kinda dumb.
I’ve been doing so much reading, looking at tons of pictures, not to mention crazy busy..... so I’ll let all that be my excuse.

I think I was sent the wrong turtle.
Can anyone give me their opinion?
59201113-E9B0-451C-8D81-83083BF06305.jpeg

My guy is top left(Leo) top right is a Florida spinny hybrid.
Bottom left is a Florida softshell. Bottom right is a spinny softshell.

I feel like he looks like a hybrid. Thoughts?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well, I feel kinda dumb.
I’ve been doing so much reading, looking at tons of pictures, not to mention crazy busy..... so I’ll let all that be my excuse.

I think I was sent the wrong turtle.
Can anyone give me their opinion?
View attachment 1346649

My guy is top left(Leo) top right is a Florida spinny hybrid.
Bottom left is a Florida softshell. Bottom right is a spinny softshell.

I feel like he looks like a hybrid. Thoughts?

They do resemble each other.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
They do resemble each other.
Ok, so I’m not just going crazy then from looking at too many pictures. Lol

I won’t send my guy back, I love this little turt<3
But..... This is the exact reason I don’t trust buying animals online. And now that I’m looking the store up I’m seeing more and more upset customer reviews.
At this point I’m just happy I received A turtle, that he is alive, and seemingly healthy from my untrained eye.
Just a bit upset, I feel lied to. I’d like to chalk it up to a mistake, but reading reviews makes me think otherwise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store