dither fish for an arowana

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
How large does a fish have to be to avoid being eaten by an arowana? Can an arowana eat a 7" filament barb? Would the arowana eat the barb if it grew up with the school of barbs and its never been fed feeders?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How large does a fish have to be to avoid being eaten by an arowana? Can an arowana eat a 7" filament barb? Would the arowana eat the barb if it grew up with the school of barbs and its never been fed feeders?
I can personally say if the Aro outgrew the Filament Barbs and could catch them yes
a meal for the Aro. I remember a 7-8 inch Silver I once had ate a group of Columbian Tetra. Thought they would be to fast. Wrong and only thing live offered were live Crickets.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I can personally say if the Aro outgrew the Filament Barbs and could catch them yes
a meal for the Aro. I remember a 7-8 inch Silver I once had ate a group of Columbian Tetra. Thought they would be to fast. Wrong and only thing live offered were live Crickets.
Thanks. Never owned an arowana before. Was thinking either a black or silver arowana. Looks like filament barbs won't work in my tanks.

I was hoping this would work because I used to have a large shoal of filament bars in my tank with a 12 inch datnoid and 22 inch clown knife. The knife never had feeders in its life as it was brought up completely on carnivore pellets (when it was small) and massivore delight when it got big.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I think about total size when considering tankmates for large mouth predators. I have a shoal of silver dollars with my datnoid. They did fine when I had my arowana also. The disk shape would be much harder to swallow than a fish that’s longer and slender.
Other options would be larger severum.
I would also recommend larger geos since they’re active and will be busy on the bottom of the tank sifting substrate.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
If you go jardini it should be ok. Plenty of aro keepers keep with discus or even tiger barbs. Silver aro though I wouldn't trust in juvenile/or in muturing stages, pretty much even as young adult. Usually the adult bigger full grown aros won't even go for the little tankmates if they are already use to their diet + they're not going to waste energy on a little bite if they already know there's something better for them coming. Try it though it should be cool if you're going to do tinfoil barbs anyway.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Would a large arowana ignore zebra danios?
Yes he will ignore them but only until he feels like having a snack before dinner at which point > :popcorn:

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I have a 3" gold pleco and 4.5" B. Phantom. 4" red severum and my Lei and general leaves the severum alone and never bothers the plecos. The severum was introduced almost a year ago. The plecos have been in the tank since the aro arrived at 4" 3 years ago.

Good so far, but anything can happen. I never feed live fish either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store