Gibbiceps plecostomus (sailfin pleco) and black diamonds?

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
I have four BDs, disk size of 6-7 inches in a 300 gallon tank with a Gibbiceps pleco of about 6 inches. I've only had them together for about a week. I notice the pleco harassing the rays a bit, body posturing, chasing, and the occasional bit of sucking on their backs. Do you think things will settle down or should the pleco be moved on? If the latter, any advice on the best type of pleco to include with BDs?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve never kept rays. But I have kept Gibbiceps.
If they are kept full and happy I’ve never had any problems. But, I have noticed if they get hungry they will start to try to feed on larger fishes slime coat. I’ve had some that never bothered another fish. So I don’t know if it’s learned behavior or just something else.
Like I say. I don’t if that will be a problem with rays. Just something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: tlindsey

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I had one with my rays, it never bothered them.
I would think the rays might harass the pleco as they get bigger.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I'm keen to know opinions on this too, as was planning on getting a large 14" gibbi plec to go with my Ray's to help with cleaning the tank lol
Ray's are all 14" or so!

Reactions: Matteus

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I'm keen to know opinions on this too, as was planning on getting a large 14" gibbi plec to go with my Ray's to help with cleaning the tank lol
Ray's are all 14" or so!
If you just want the pleco then give it a go.
But, if you’re getting it for cleaning you may be disappointed.
Most people will tell you plecos are poop factories and usually end up not cleaning and just adding to the bio load in the tank.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
If you just want the pleco then give it a go.
But, if you’re getting it for cleaning you may be disappointed.
Most people will tell you plecos are poop factories and usually end up not cleaning and just adding to the bio load in the tank.
Ah that's a shame, I was hoping that it would clean the walls of my pond, as just got a very large white one, so cleaning is going to be fun! Lol

Maybe I wont then as that was the sole reason wanted one really!

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
That plec looks as though it will do some damage to the rays.
I have heard and seen sunshine plecs working well with rays.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Ah that's a shame, I was hoping that it would clean the walls of my pond, as just got a very large white one, so cleaning is going to be fun! Lol

Maybe I wont then as that was the sole reason wanted one really!
Jez1992 Jez1992 , you could try a Flagtail if you want the walls of your pond clean

They do an awesome job of walls and wood without adding to the bioload like the plecos do

Some people say they can suck the slime coat off the rays, I have found that the odd one does but not all and if they have enough vegetable matter to eat, they leave the rays alone
I put in cucumber or zucchini for my clown loaches and the flagtail eats that too

We had two over the years which we had to re home, the rest have not been a problem
I have even got one with my pups and he didnt even bother my week old pups

Reactions: Matteus and Jez1992
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store