New Pond, and Dogs?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I'm considering an outdoor pond, and we live in a fairly mild climate (San Joaquin Valley.) I'm considering this because I have large plecos, and will be keeping them outdoors year-round. They grow oranges here & we typically only get very light frost in the morning, about 2 weeks in January, and never any snow.

I suspect that an in-ground pond will be best and easiest to heat, but I am considering above-ground because we have large dogs with no fear of water. I may be able to train them to stay out, or I may just need a fence around the pond.

There is not much wildlife in the 'burbs where I am. Maybe an occasional opossum or a random crow. Mostly songbirds, I won't worry about. Otherwise my main concern is our dogs.

Am I best to just keep the pond in-ground and fence out the dogs? I'm a little worried they will kill my fish, just carelessly splashing around.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I wouldn’t worry.
When I had a very small ornamental pond 175g my neighbors lab and German shepherd came over multiple times durning a heat wave to sit in my pond. I was irritated because they ripped up my plants, but my fish were fine even though they really didn’t have anywhere they could go.

And now with a pond over 4’ deep my husbands Pitt has only jumped in once in the two years we’ve had it and didn’t hurt my koi. Both our dogs have been good about staying out. They do like to drink from it though if I forget to put a bucket out for them.

I say try it out. Then fence it if it becomes a problem.

Lsey81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2016
Pittsburgh-ish
We have 4 dogs and a pond...they were curious at 1st....now they just ignore it unless it's really hot out and they water bowl is low...but otherwise they pay it no mind give it a shot!

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Thanks you both.

I am leaning now toward a half-in/half-out solution.

This will allow a deeper pond, and provide some barrier against dogs. I can't have them barging around ripping thing up. I really don't want them in the pond at all, because of wet dog smell. Also, if I can't keep it pretty, I can't justify building it.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks you both.

I am leaning now toward a half-in/half-out solution.

This will allow a deeper pond, and provide some barrier against dogs. I can't have them barging around ripping thing up. I really don't want them in the pond at all, because of wet dog smell. Also, if I can't keep it pretty, I can't justify building it.
Half and half sounds good. And I don’t think it will be hard to teach the dogs to stay out. Slightly depending on the breed. Labs are more of a challenge in my experience.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Hmmm... a kiddie pool would be a great way to keep them out of the pond. I set one up for my husbands Pitt. She loves water and sticks her head under. She’s weird. Lol

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
With a raised pond dogs tend to just jump up with their front legs, seems to stop them from jumping in . I also think it's safer if you have kids. The other thing is it allows you to view your fish closer without having to stoop down. Fish will become tamer if your pond is deep and allows them to escape to what they feel is a safe distance.

Reactions: Ulu

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
depending on your pond depth you might be required by county laws to fence the pond. also some homeowners insurance require a fence...just fyi.

Reactions: Matteus

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
depending on your pond depth you might be required by county laws to fence the pond. also some homeowners insurance require a fence...just fyi.
Good point, though my whole yard is fenced. I was going to do a sort of decorative fence, but hardly a legal pool fence type.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store