I need some advice for my Nile Monitor!!!!

IlovemypetMonitor20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi everyone! :) I am new to this website and I just got a baby Nile Monitor.
It hasnt been eating its meal worms or pooping/peeing. what do I do!!!!!
(BTW, its tempature in the tank right now is around 80 degrees farenheit.
The temp. it needs to be at is 80-95 degrees. I hope you guys can help me
THanks!! :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone! :) I am new to this website and I just got a baby Nile Monitor.
It hasnt been eating its meal worms or pooping/peeing. what do I do!!!!!
(BTW, its tempature in the tank right now is around 80 degrees farenheit.
The temp. it needs to be at is 80-95 degrees. I hope you guys can help me
THanks!! :)

Personally never kept any monitor lizard but use the search bar above. Here is one linkhttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/nile-monitor.373563/

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
First of all do you have experience with big reptiles or even better with big lizards? A nile monitor is a killing machine and it can do some serious damage with both tail and teeth. They bite and swings their head to rip you apart.

Second they get HUGE and by huge i mean really huge.

Third they are not an lizard for an avarage joe keeper.

Buying a monitor for its coolness factor is stupid and its like asking for trouble.
I used to keep salvatori and water monitor and they are hard to keep. They are higgly intelligent and unpredictable like no other animal.

IlovemypetMonitor20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2019
First of all do you have experience with big reptiles or even better with big lizards? A nile monitor is a killing machine and it can do some serious damage with both tail and teeth. They bite and swings their head to rip you apart.

Second they get HUGE and by huge i mean really huge.

Third they are not an lizard for an avarage joe keeper.

Buying a monitor for its coolness factor is stupid and its like asking for trouble.
I used to keep salvatori and water monitor and they are hard to keep. They are higgly intelligent and unpredictable like no other animal.
Thanks I guess?? was kinda rude but ok

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Wasnt trying to be rude at all.

Im just giving you true facts. Ive kept reptiles most of my life and i am currently keeping some snakes with nasty venom. Have kept big lizards like water monitor, salvatori monitor and tegus. They are not for an normal keeper. They are for advanced keepers. As for nile monitors they are as i stated highly unpredictable and intelligent. You can compare them to an manipulative psychopath. They lets you think you got the controll and play along for a while the sudden they snaps and turns on you. When they do it gets ugly. They should get an handle with care sticker one them.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It is better to know about a danger beforehand rather than later on when it is too late and your lizard messes you up physically.

I had a 5’ green iguana which is an%80 vegetarian diet, so not even a predatory type lizard. I took it outside on a hot day to bask in the sun, on a leash and halter (which I would never recommend for any lizard with spines). I had read before this day that when you let your herps outside they can become even more aggressive than typical because it makes them feel wild again.

I had left her alone for about an hour in the sun, then I returned to bring her inside. Not even paying attention to the fact I could have startled her, I reached for her and bam, she nailed me with her tail. She just barely nicked me but it was straight up the middle knuckle bone of my hand and arm. Deadly accurate and just shy of breaking skin.

I had a friend do the same when he approached a wild iggy on his honeymoon, but he wasn’t so lucky. The tail shredded his arm up so bad, that you could see inside, bones and muscles and whatnot. I almost passed out when I realized it wasn’t a fake photograph.

Now imagine that these responses are a defensive mechanism for a vegetarian animal. Now imagine the Nile monitor is an aggressive predator which depends on killing to survive (typically). That freaks me out personally, just saying.

Good luck and we really like pics. So please share pics.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
It is better to know about a danger beforehand rather than later on when it is too late and your lizard messes you up physically.

I had a 5’ green iguana which is an%80 vegetarian diet, so not even a predatory type lizard. I took it outside on a hot day to bask in the sun, on a leash and halter (which I would never recommend for any lizard with spines). I had read before this day that when you let your herps outside they can become even more aggressive than typical because it makes them feel wild again.

I had left her alone for about an hour in the sun, then I returned to bring her inside. Not even paying attention to the fact I could have startled her, I reached for her and bam, she nailed me with her tail. She just barely nicked me but it was straight up the middle knuckle bone of my hand and arm. Deadly accurate and just shy of breaking skin.

I had a friend do the same when he approached a wild iggy on his honeymoon, but he wasn’t so lucky. The tail shredded his arm up so bad, that you could see inside, bones and muscles and whatnot. I almost passed out when I realized it wasn’t a fake photograph.

Now imagine that these responses are a defensive mechanism for a vegetarian animal. Now imagine the Nile monitor is an aggressive predator which depends on killing to survive (typically). That freaks me out personally, just saying.

This is what a monitor can inflict with its teeth.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

IlovemypetMonitor20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2019

k will post a pic (its still a baby tho)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store