Cleaning filter socks

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
So.. this is my first time with a built in sump filtration system. In the past I’ve always used hang on the back filters and I replaced and cleaned the media as needed and popped it back into place. Now I’m using a sump with filter sock on my 90 gallon that I’m currently cycling to house my discus. Now I’m aware that what I’m doing is trying to build a beneficial bacteria colony in the sump, but this is the second time the sock has become somewhat clogged to where overflow is running into the sump without passing through the sock. I made the decision to remove all of the plants and rocks I had originally in the setup and went with an open water layout to making cleaning easier. When I discussed this with the local fish store they simply said to throw it in the washing machine with a little bleach. I have other sponges in the sump to establish my beneficial bacteria and I’m wondering how all of you clean your filter socks? I’m debating going to the store and purchasing a replacement sock that I can switch out when this happens. The water level where I’m pointing is rising when this happens, and going into overflow. This is my indicator that I may need to rotate it out with a new one... but how should I clean it?

613A36EB-6C37-430C-BD55-20185E900A1F.jpeg

6A2754A6-EF5B-4EE7-ABDC-9DCBEE2E98B1.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Filter socks are generally thought of a mechanical filtration, not really part of the bio-bacterial filtration colony, like the solid rings, lava rock, or other type media (Although they can be).
The washing machine is one way to clean.
You can also just take it out, hose it down on the lawn, and put it back.
You can also bleach filter socks, for 24 hours, and in that time they become purged of organic material, the rub with bleaching, is its usually necssary to have 3.
One running, one being bleached, and one drying out (or sitting in water with a dechlorinator)at the ready.
I have tried all 3 ways, and can't say one is better than the other.
Hosing them out can be hard on the seems, and they fall apart somewhat faster.
But bleach , and machine washing can have the same effect.
Either way I like to slip a clean one on, and either hose them down, or bleach them.
Hosing saves any bio-bacteria buildup, bleach doesn't.

Icecold Dan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
Earth
I agree with duanes. It is definitely a good idea to have a few socks in your rotation. My sump takes 2 socks and I have 8 in the rotation. Often I just clean them in the kitchen sink using the sprayer. I spray them closely on the outside, then turn them inside out and do the same again. Then I wring them out a few times and set them in my spare bathtub to dry.

After a few times of this, I will put them in the washing machine with a little bleach to get them nearly white again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store