Flowerhorn newbie need help with Strain ID

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
Hello MFK, back to the hobby after the routine few years sabbatical.

So back in town and I have too many empty tanks, I was thinking if going all planted to try it out but then I got an offer from a friend moving overseas and I get all his flowerhorns. I need to know what strain these are and if they are pure or mixed breed (with what?) I do know the basic strains but I know some of these are crossed, so help with strain ID of all of them will be appreciated. I'd also like you to rate the quality from 1-10 (10 being the highest) because I don't want to fill all my tanks up with these and I'd give away the less quality ones to other hobbyists who are willing to take them.
Since I'm a flowerhorn beginner I'd like some advise too, any. My plan is 4*2*2 solo tanks for all, maybe add a partition for the first two males I want to breed and add the females, otherwise all solo.
Diet plan is okiko platinum, live ghost shrimps and pink zebra danios (twice a week), raw beef heart and pasture free-range chicken liver slices, optimum cichlid pellet. All sponge filters, no power filters. Underground water with high PH in summers mixed with dechlorinated 3 days aged tap water.

All the fish is now in temp tanks before I take them home to their permanant residence.

Male 1
Male 2
Female 1, Male 3 and 4
Male 5 and female 2
Male 6
Female 3
Female 4
Male 1 and female 1
Female 5
Male 8

Ignore the text on the picture, this is female 6
IMG_20190521_052044.jpg

Female 1IMG-20190504-WA0079.jpg

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
Btw there are two more but I don't have pics of them, will upload tomorrow. Hoping for some answers! Cheers

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
They are all nice fish. Chose the ones you like based on personality and looks. It's all preference. Most of those fish are kamfa and srd and mixes of the two. Though your diet plan is horrible and I would completely rethink it. No need for feeder fish or ghost shrimp. Flowerhorns can't even properly digest animal produce such as beef heart or chicken. Okiko platinum is a garbage pellet. This diet is a recipe for a bunch of sick and dead fish. Care to help elaborate RD. RD.

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
Thanks for the reply, even the first male is a cross?
Problem is he has his flowerhorns on beef heart and optimum cichlid pellet (image attached) though it says quick red (I don't care, I don't want colour boosters) it's not even slow red compared to tetra bits I used for my discus.
What food would you suggest?

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Get cichlid gold pellets flowerhorns usually accept anything as food as longs they are on pellets shouldnt be hard to convert him to a different pellet ime. Also ive bought a flowerhorn only fed feeder fish and he died from internal parasites that would come and go with symptoms and I would treat the water and he would act fine and then symptoms would show up again.
This time wen I bought my new one I got them from a place that knows how to properly take care of fish and feed properly. Good luck those are some nice fh.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Feed a variety of high quality medium protein pellet - NLS, Hikari, omega one, northfin, and bug bites. I wouldn’t mess with flowerhorn branded foods. Keep it simple with flowerhorns. You shouldn’t need to feed anything other than pellets. Flowerhorns have a weak digestive system so it’s best to avoid frozen foods and freeze dried foods. I wouldn’t ever feed any of the foods you mentioned personally put if your going to feed frozen or freeze dried foods it should be nothing but a once a week treat. I also would do your best not to overfeed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RD.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Also my favorites of the fish you showed are Male 1, Female 3. A lot of other awesome fish too.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Feed a variety of high quality medium protein pellet - NLS, Hikari, omega one, northfin, and bug bites. I wouldn’t mess with flowerhorn branded foods. Keep it simple with flowerhorns. You shouldn’t need to feed anything other than pellets. Flowerhorns have a weak digestive system so it’s best to avoid frozen foods and freeze dried foods. I wouldn’t ever feed any of the foods you mentioned personally put if your going to feed frozen or freeze dried foods it should be nothing but a once a week treat. I also would do your best not to overfeed them.
Agreed, but personally I would scratch bug bites off that list. I would also ensure that your FH was fed NLS AlgaeMax once a day. It will keep the digestive system in check. I converted all of my imported FH to NLS, and they had all been raised on blood worms up until my receiving them. Good luck.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
Thank you guys. I have one more question regarding food.

What about BSF larvae?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store