Crayfish need air?

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
I recently purchased this little guy. I was told he never needs to reach the surface for oxygen. He will live for life fully submerged. Is this true?

29ACCF96-6760-41B4-A4F3-1A820F9503C1.jpeg

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
They grow to be around 6 inches long, as for air, they need some air, but just surface agitation from the filter is enough, though when I bred crayfish I had an air stone in there, so I would add an airstone just to be safe

Reactions: jacobfata

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
They grow to be around 6 inches long, as for air, they need some air, but just surface agitation from the filter is enough, though when I bred crayfish I had an air stone in there, so I would add an airstone just to be safe
Would you consider them a threat to sub adult discus?

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Would you consider them a threat to sub adult discus?
Absolutely, I've seen them take down fish upwards of 6 inches, don't keep them with fish unless you want the fish to be eaten or injured or if you want the crayfish to be hurt or injured, you can get away with minnows, canios, tetras, barbs, etc. as they can't catch them, but if he does he will eat them. Now if you keep them with a larger fish, say a discus, if he gets the chance to he will go after them, he may just injure them, causing a scratch, but if he can get a good grip on him he will eat them. I used to have a crayfish and he ate everything he got a hold of, including a 6" rainbow shark

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Wow
Absolutely, I've seen them take down fish upwards of 6 inches, don't keep them with fish unless you want the fish to be eaten or injured or if you want the crayfish to be hurt or injured, you can get away with minnows, canios, tetras, barbs, etc. as they can't catch them, but if he does he will eat them. Now if you keep them with a larger fish, say a discus, if he gets the chance to he will go after them, he may just injure them, causing a scratch, but if he can get a good grip on him he will eat them. I used to have a crayfish and he ate everything he got a hold of, including a 6" rainbow shark
Wow ok thank you so much the guy at the LFS said I was safe I should have known. Would he live happily in my sump in your opinion?

168C7EF8-07D8-4270-AE4C-13343D64780B.jpeg

jacobfata

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah he doesn't care, just make CERTAIN you cover the sump because he will climb out if he gets the chance
Ok awesome. Thanks for the help man!
I wonder if I should feed him or if he’ll have natural food and junk to eat in the sump ? ‍♂

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Ok awesome. Thanks for the help man!
I wonder if I should feed him or if he’ll have natural food and junk to eat in the sump ? ‍♂
You should feed him a bit, they don't need much, just some sinking carnivore and algae pellets would be fine. Make sure your tank has hard water so the crayfish can regenerate it's shell

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store