Happy 4th mfk!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
I see today we did get some drywall damage. Put it on the list of honey dos
My company deals with honey do list and home repairs. You should give me a call. I’ll send someone to do a free estimate in LB

Reactions: Matteus

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
My company deals with honey do list and home repairs. You should give me a call. I’ll send someone to do a free estimate in LB
That's very considerate.
I'll let you know. It's pretty minor.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
That's very considerate.
Meh win win. I figured since the army thing is on hold for a few months while I get everything together. I might as well get the business exploding to take care of my guys when I leave.

Reactions: Matteus and LBDave

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
That's very considerate.
I hope your building doesn't have any major problems. I worked on some jobs down in Long Beach that had major deficiencies that were kind of plastered over in the end.

One job had post-tension slabs, which means that there were tensioned cables inside the concrete floors. Unfortunately such jobs are extremely critical in the construction phase if the design calculations are going to work out. If you do it right you can save a lot on material, but if you do it wrong you wind up with a limp structure.

On this one its sagged right over the sliding doors on every balcony in the building. The sagging took some time to develop fully, and thus they had a number of doors installed before they realized that they were all going to get too tight.

They ended up having to rework a lot of aluminum in order to get the doors to work properly.

That when I said that these slabs sagged, what I really mean is that they curled down. . . not due to gravity forces but due to the fact that there was an offset in the tension cables and it pulled the slab crooked.

I remember when they were setting the penthouse wall panels they drilled into some of the cables on the roof slab. They called my office asking what to do about it.

There really is no practical way to do anything about it if the building is up. Fortunately the roof slab is lightly loaded all the time because there's no snow in Long Beach.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Happy 4th Guys and Gals anyone doing anything exciting!!!!
I just finished a whole year of excitement. We did a major remodel on our house, and it is essentially complete except to install the last aquarium.

Once I finish that I'm looking forward to things being dull for a good long time.

Anyhow I had the whole family over today and I cooked them up tri-tip and a pork roast and chicken kabobs on the smoker.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I hope your building doesn't have any major problems. I worked on some jobs down in Long Beach that had major deficiencies that were kind of plastered over in the end.

One job had post-tension slabs, which means that there were tensioned cables inside the concrete floors. Unfortunately such jobs are extremely critical in the construction phase if the design calculations are going to work out. If you do it right you can save a lot on material, but if you do it wrong you wind up with a limp structure.

On this one its sagged right over the sliding doors on every balcony in the building. The sagging took some time to develop fully, and thus they had a number of doors installed before they realized that they were all going to get too tight.

They ended up having to rework a lot of aluminum in order to get the doors to work properly.

That when I said that these slabs sagged, what I really mean is that they curled down. . . not due to gravity forces but due to the fact that there was an offset in the tension cables and it pulled the slab crooked.

I remember when they were setting the penthouse wall panels they drilled into some of the cables on the roof slab. They called my office asking what to do about it.

There really is no practical way to do anything about it if the building is up. Fortunately the roof slab is lightly loaded all the time because there's no snow in Long Beach.
You preaching to the choir. As an ex superintendent I have headed 5 PT projects. 3 were high rise. The deck deflection is common and needs to be considered for the window wall or curtain wall design. It's not so much the concrete design or installation that is the problem. Engineers will claim only slight deflection. The poor general contractor needs to get the building loaded with materials and built in a short time.
No one has the money , space or time to shore the decks while the windows, framed walls and drywall go in.
You could design the decks for less deflection but it costs more money.
The best thing to do is to design window and wall systems for the real deflection. This actually worked well in the last high rise I did in DTLA.

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Dave, I did curtain wall design for about 8 years and I have stuff hanging all up and down the West Coast that I drew. We always tried to design in excess expansion capabilities but the architects didn't like the increased sightlines.

Architects just hate any Big Expansion Joints. The good ones all work it out in advance so that they are harmonious to the design. They conceal the problems or they celebrate them as appropriate.

The poor ones just placed the responsibility on the contractor, with a note on the drawings, for any job that didn't lend itself to a clear path of action.

Because you can get away with that on a simple job, it caused a lot of Architects to stumble on more complicated attempts. Famous architects had such problems on their most famous projects, when they reached a little too far.

Extrapolation can be a very dangerous business.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store