Flagtail power

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I had one too, but suddenly he decided to harass all his tankmates, especially red ones.
He was well fed and I don't know if he was trying to eat their slimecoats or if he was chasing them so badly for any other reason.
I will try to keep one someday again, because I like the fish.
And yes, they are active after dark too.
I remember they are called "Night tetras" too.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I had one too, but suddenly he decided to harass all his tankmates, especially red ones.
He was well fed and I don't know if he was trying to eat their slimecoats or if he was chasing them so badly for any other reason.
I will try to keep one someday again, because I like the fish.
And yes, they are active after dark too.
I remember they are called "Night tetras" too.
The red ones are ripe! Dont eat the green ones they are not ready yet.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
If there actually are ones that could fit in a 45 gallon, I will be interested since these guys seem like amazing algae eaters.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Last night I was getting a tank ready to qt a new fish arrival. I traded the current fish in the tank so I wanted to keep the tank fully cycled for the next few days until the new arrival shows up.

So I threw this little 4” flagtail in the qt tank. It was loaded with diatoms to the point I couldn’t see through the sides of the glass clearly and the back was almost entirely browned out.

I was expecting the ft to take a week or two to get it in half decent shape, but this morning woke up to this. View attachment 1379519View attachment 1379520View attachment 1379521

I am amazed at how fast this happened? And even more amazed at the fact it all seemed to happen in the dark. Are these guys typically nocturnal as well as diurnal? Weird but cool.

Just thought I would share this. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take a before picture
Chalk this up as another fish in common!E09236FE-CA0B-43F8-9DB9-CF74D80D540C.jpeg

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Red or yellow tail flagtails will max out at a minimum of 12”-16”+ in the aquaria. Both types will even grow larger in massive tanks or the wild.

Yes, they are great at targeting algae, biofilm, and leftover food/pellets. Hands down the best vacuum fish available in our hobby. Only downside is when larger. Many will go after the slimecoat of bottom dwellers.
So I originally thought so too until I read this thread, and also the link within the thread. It suggests that they are a smaller species. But even at 7-8” that might still be a bit big for a 45g no doubt. But they do seem to be good sellers if you were to resale them. Fishnerd360 Fishnerd360

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store