How did they do this?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Anybody know how they did this?
How did they put a window in a 55 gallon drum?
I have plastic barrels that I would make into grow out tanks, but not if all I have is a top down view.

images.jpg

fish food 1.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Ulu and Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That is probably the handiwork of an aquaculture supplies company but it kind of looks DIY.

Reactions: Dloks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Seen it done before use polycarbonate acrylic/plastic sheets and silicone. Creates a gasket. It works.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Seen it done before use polycarbonate acrylic/plastic sheets and silicone. Creates a gasket. It works.
You think it is acrylic sheets? How thick I wonder? I guess it could be a little thinner since it is bowed.
It really looks like a cool DIY project, but like was mentioned, It could be a commercial product that just looks DIY.
A barrel has a small foot print and I could put several in the garage out of the way.
What about plexiglass, or is that the same as acrylic?
Would you have to heat it to bend it?
I also have access to a bunch of salt lick tubs. :)

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I have wondered about this for a while. I was thinking it could be cool to have a viewing window in a big pond

Reactions: johnnymax

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You think it is acrylic sheets? How thick I wonder? I guess it could be a little thinner since it is bowed.
It really looks like a cool DIY project, but like was mentioned, It could be a commercial product that just looks DIY.
A barrel has a small foot print and I could put several in the garage out of the way.
What about plexiglass, or is that the same as acrylic?
Would you have to heat it to bend it?
I also have access to a bunch of salt lick tubs. :)
I believe it to be polycarbonate as it’s stronger and has some bend/flex to it. Not that thick. Some other diy have used 5/16” and was lexan polycarbonate.

Plexiglass is a brand of acrylic. Less impurities compare to acrylic. Not as strong.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should work with double beading of silicone.

local hero

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2006
...in my head
These tubs look to be from Aquatic ecosystems, I have two of their 400 gallon versions. The windows in mine are 24" x 24" and maybe an 1/8" thick. Stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers hold the window in place with a thin bead in silicone on the inside. Mine have held up well for over a decade with no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: twentyleagues

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It dosen't matter whether you use polycarbonate or acrylic, they'd both work well. There'd probably be a slight difference in price which may sway you one way or the other.

The sheet dosen't have to be thick either, which is just as well, because you've got the awkward camber of the barrel to contend with. It would be alot easier to affix a sheet which is reasonably bendy.

You'd definitely have to install it using the nuts and bolts method, using silicon as a gasket. Trying to attach it with just silicon and/or glue would end in a wet floor.

I hope you're not planning on stocking them in a similar way to the examples shown. That's just wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store