What's the dumbest advice you've ever been told about fish care?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
'They can all go in together'. Once saw a family shopping at a popular farm/store, an enthusiatic sales guy bringing them round. Bought a 10g ,1 red ear slider, 2 oscars 10 guppys 2 redtail gourami, 2 angelfish, 2 bala shark, 2 IDs, air pump, corner filter, lights, pirate ship, 2 sword plants, bag of multi color pebbles and a bottle of anti chlorine.
Well a pinch of salt, pepper and some chilis a 300w heater and youve got yourself an nice fishstew :ROFL:

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
that's the reason. The salesperson would be able to see the mom again when they bring the fish back
Ahh, but's that where you could be wrong. When they eventually take the pile of smelly dead fish back it'll be DAD who gets that job, not the hot mum. And dad's probably built like a brick outhouse and he'll waste that sales guys sorry ass!

This threads just getting silly now :grinyes:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Ahh, but's that where you could be wrong. When they eventually take the pile of smelly dead fish back it'll be DAD who gets that job, not the hot mum. And dad's probably built like a brick outhouse and he'll waste that sales guys sorry ass!

This threads just getting silly now :grinyes:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
not if it is a single mum :mwave:

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
-"Silver arowana in this large 3ft tank for life will be fine". Kept emphasizing the word "large"
- "This is a very powerful filter (standard powerhead with sponge on it). You don't need to do water changes with this, only top up water levels."
- "no no no sir, you are incorrect. These are Piranaha, not Pacu"
- When going around the store and asking how big each fish gets (Koi, ID sharks, mollies, Oscars, angels etc... anything I pointed at: "about this big sir" (opens his hand and shows me the distance between his thumb and index finger")
- One of my favorites: "Sir, just use the water from the old tank to cycle the new tank, all the bacteria are in the water. If you buy this new filter you can just take some of this old tank water and the aquarium will be cycled".

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
When I was 12 , I was sold 2 oscars in a 20G and told the best diet was chopped beef heart. They lasted 2 weeks. I still feel sort of bad about it even though I didn't know any better at the time.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Damn i wanna learn how to cycle a over night.
Shee oot...I wasted 8 weeks cycling my 225 for nuthin.'

I did try the cotton balls in the filters when I was 10. They made nice sludge bricks and clogged up.

I also had a goldfish that developed a large blister on the side. So, I tried the 'hot compress' with a warm wet cloth. The blister popped. I then added iodine to the spot. Goldfish belly up in a week. I wonder if me never changing water had something to do with it???? :hitting:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store