Cichlid's Fins and Tail Turning Black

Mohsin99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
Hello Guys, I need your help or suggestion on the mentioned topic as I am new to fish keeping and have 55 gals tank which has Oscar, Dolphin, Geophagus Red hump and Albino. Yesterday night I noticed that upper fins, tails and lower fins of the cichlids are turning black, though the fish is healthy and active. I did some research and saw few posts around it, did partial water change in the tank and added Aquarium conditioner from Seachem. pH level are between 7 - 9 but not sure why the fins are turning black. Any help or suggestion to avoid further damage to fish will be highly appreciated. I dont have the photos right now, but will post once i am home. Thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello Guys, I need your help or suggestion on the mentioned topic as I am new to fish keeping and have 55 gals tank which has Oscar, Dolphin, Geophagus Red hump and Albino. Yesterday night I noticed that upper fins, tails and lower fins of the cichlids are turning black, though the fish is healthy and active. I did some research and saw few posts around it, did partial water change in the tank and added Aquarium conditioner from Seachem. pH level are between 7 - 9 but not sure why the fins are turning black. Any help or suggestion to avoid further damage to fish will be highly appreciated. I dont have the photos right now, but will post once i am home. Thanks

Welcome aboard

Cichlids color will change for a variety of reasons. For example mood, breeding, stress from being picked on and something could be off parameter wise.
How did you cycle the aquarium? Also how long has it been setup?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Get the paramters once you get home.

Mohsin99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
Welcome aboard

Cichlids color will change for a variety of reasons. For example mood, breeding, stress from being picked on and something could be off parameter wise.
How did you cycle the aquarium? Also how long has it been setup?
It's been 2 weeks and 3days now and I just did partial water change upto 40%. I am sure there is no fighting in the tank with other tank mates. I am planning to introduce Jack Dempsey sometime next week to the tank. Any suggestion if this would be a good idea. Existing fishes are not more than 4".

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Amonia, nitrites, and nitrates. These are the threee biggest things I find.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's been 2 weeks and 3days now and I just did partial water change upto 40%. I am sure there is no fighting in the tank with other tank mates. I am planning to introduce Jack Dempsey sometime next week to the tank. Any suggestion if this would be a good idea. Existing fishes are not more than 4".

Wouldn't add anymore fish in the 55 gallon. Cichlids especially will need space for territory. List your Ammonia, Nitrite,Nitrate and PH levels.

Reactions: Rocksor

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Wouldn't add anymore fish in the 55 gallon. Cichlids especially will need space for territory. List your Ammonia, Nitrite,Nitrate and PH levels.
2 weeks is not long enough for the aquarium to be cycled unless you added seeded bio media to your filter to jump start Nitrifying Cycle.

Mohsin99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
2 weeks is not long enough for the aquarium to be cycled unless you added seeded bio media to your filter to jump start Nitrifying Cycle.
I have SICEE Shark ADV800 which is a bio filter, I am not sure how to check the nitrate, nitrite and ammonia level, is there any test kit that I can look for to check the results?

Mohsin99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
Thanks Lindsey. I will make a note of it, I am planning for 75 gal tank but at later once I a start getting things right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store