Check This Out Companies that don't want to sell to you

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
I went to MACNA in Orlando Florida a few weeks ago. For those who don't know what MACNA is its the largest Marine Aquarium conference / show with a lot of venders showing off there latest equipment. Even though I am a Fresh water keeper the equipment is fascinating to see and some can be used for either Freash or Salt. Anyway , I went there and meet many dealers. Besides looking at all the LED lighting,filtration,pumps,etc. I had a special interest in buying a custom Aquarium. There are many companies out there but a few in particular stood out. After all I am looking for a 300 gallon tank to be placed in my home. Not in the basement. So I need something done right where I don't have to worry. With out mentioning any companies name, when the show was over I called up a tank manufacture that was at this show and they told me they don't sell direct. This was very upsetting to me and blew my mind. Check this out-I spent the money to travel a great distance on the flights , Hotel rooms, car rental, show admission, etc. For them to say find your local dealer ??? WHAT !
I can't believe this. This is why these shows do poorly and people loose interest. Back in the Day -If you went to a trade show they offered you a show discount and they use to give out goodies where the bag got so heavy you would have to make a trip to the car to unload. Today its not like that. As a result this tank company gave me a name of a dealer that happens to be extremely expensive. So the bottom line is---- I went to MACNA and a third party now has to be involved driving up the price for me to order a tank. What do you MFK's think about this ???

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry about your troubles,that reminds me of a particular prominent aquarium fish supplier based in Florida who does not deal with individual hobbyists,only shops. There are other companies that do deal direct.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
As a former distributor of aquatic goods, I can tell you that I never sold directly to hobbyists. The reason for that was simple, retail brick & mortar stores were my bread & butter, and most of them, if not all of them, would consider me selling directly as a slap in their face, akin to me stealing their sales. If that aquarium manufacturer has retail outlets buying in bulk from them, then it's the same principle.

I'm not sure what kind of freebies a tank dealer is supposed to hand out? It's different for vendors that are their promoting smaller less costly items, such as food samples, that sort of thing.

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
Well a very big distributor of aquatic goods was handing out free samples and selling direct. This companies name I will reveal. ---Hikari ---This is the whole purpose of a trade show and gets people to attend.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I agree with RD. RD. ...

As for Hikari, i wouldnt be surprised if they were handing out free samples coz after the show, you’d still have to goto an actual store (who they probably supply) to pick up their products anyway since its a cheap disposable product...

But with things like a fish tank, if you get it directly from the distributor, you definitely arent going to go back to the store anytime soon for your next one since these are in-disposable products you dont always run out and buy more of...

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Well a very big distributor of aquatic goods was handing out free samples and selling direct. This companies name I will reveal. ---Hikari ---This is the whole purpose of a trade show and gets people to attend.
The whole purpose of a trade show is advertising for the vendors, and for the public a chance to check out new concepts and products. Of course Hikari will hand out freebies, and those freebies are helping all of the retail outlets that sell their products. A win-win for both manufacturer, and the retail vendors that carry their product line.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
While it depends on the product, what you're describing is true of a lot of products at trade shows. If you go to the Detroit Auto Show, you don't expect to buy a car there, you're there to see new models, concept cars, etc.

The operative word is show, which can mean products for display-only, often with presenters or staff to promote items or answer questions. Besides advertising to the public, they may be looking for new retail clients or contacts, taking wholesale orders, etc. If they do sell to the public, it doesn't have to mean they transported large item inventory there to sell, but they may take orders or give you contact and ordering info.

As a former distributor of aquatic goods, I can tell you that I never sold directly to hobbyists. The reason for that was simple, retail brick & mortar stores were my bread & butter, and most of them, if not all of them, would consider me selling directly as a slap in their face, akin to me stealing their sales. If that aquarium manufacturer has retail outlets buying in bulk from them, then it's the same principle.
Segrest is a large distributor of tropical fish to pet stores. Due to the wide variety of fish they have available, hobbyists who find them will ask if they can buy direct. If you go to their web site they say exactly the same as above. They have a lookup where you can find pet stores that have their products and they encourage you to order through them, and say if there's none in your area you should try to ask your pet or lfs to order from them.

Last edited:

Tropical Joe

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
Queens NY
This is why these trade shows don't do good and many of them were stopped completely. If I have to spend my time and money attending these shows its nice to get a discount or a show special to make it worth it for me. You guys have your different point of views witch is fine but the bottom line is these shows are doing poorly and are being canceled because of these reasons-less and less turn out. Its a shame because I use to like to attend trade shows. This is not only the case in the Aquarium world - I seen this happen to the train and toy hobby and the pool and billiard word as well.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree in so much as the tank manufacturer could have been giving promotional discount coupons out for anyone buying one of their tanks within a specified time, but again, totally different than expecting a manufacturer to sell directly to the public. That has nothing to do with why or why not trade shows are not doing as good as past shows. I would tend to think that has a lot more to do with the current economy, and the current state of disposable income.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store