New flower horn sitting at bottom

Hornyflower8.0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2019
Just brought this flower horn home and he is sitting on the bottom not moving very much. Breathing looks normal. He was very active at store and in the bag. This is my first time keeping a Flowerhorn so if someone can tell if this is normal or not and maybe have some suggestions on what I should do that would be great thank you.

image.jpg

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Well he's very stressed. You can tell by his dark coloration. Suggest leaving the lights off, and observing. Is he the only fish in the tank

Reactions: adamsfishes

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
let him acclimate to the activity in and around his new home. It's similar to if you ended up on Mars, it'd be stressful but eventually you would figure it out.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Assuming you water quality is good, this is normal. It could take a while, maybe a week or more, for him to come out of his shell.

Is he eating?

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Hornyflower8.0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2019
Assuming you water quality is good, this is normal. It could take a while, maybe a week or more, for him to come out of his shell.

Is he eating?
Started eating this morning and is moving about much more. I think he’s gonna be good. Thank you for the advice

Reactions: adamsfishes

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I agree with what has been said already and your flowerhorn just needs time to settle in. With that being said I would like to mention that the black gravel is most likely going to keep your new pet very dark in color. I would not recommend changing it now as he settles in but possibly in a few weeks you might want to think about switching to a lighter color gravel. Not white, but maybe a river stone color or something brighter. It will do wonders for the colors of your flowerhorn.

Reactions: islandguy11

Hornyflower8.0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2019
I agree with what has been said already and your flowerhorn just needs time to settle in. With that being said I would like to mention that the black gravel is most likely going to keep your new pet very dark in color. I would not recommend changing it now as he settles in but possibly in a few weeks you might want to think about switching to a lighter color gravel. Not white, but maybe a river stone color or something brighter. It will do wonders for the colors of your flowerhorn.
Appreciate the feedback. Will keep that in mind. For now he’s doing pretty good swimming about quite a bit and eating good. Thanks again

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
let him acclimate to the activity in and around his new home. It's similar to if you ended up on Mars, it'd be stressful but eventually you would figure it out.
Flowerhorn in a new tank = human being isolated on distant treacherous world. Interesting analogy, I like it. Although i'd say the flowerhorn has a better chance of making it. :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store