Question about PH

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
I have chosen a substrate that gives the water a ph of 8.2 (so it says) I havent added anything to the tank yet and am wondering if I can use this substrate and then counter the PH with something that can lower the PH of the water to give me a ph between 7 and 8. Any advice is appreciated thank you!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although the substrate says it will raise pH 8.2, is that sitting in water without fish, or supposedly with fish.
Aragonite would be one such substrate that buffers acids, and maintains equilibrium.
But metabolism in itself from fish waste, and other biological processes producing uric acid, etc, will naturally lower pH.
Tannic acids from waterlogged wood pieces will naturally lower pH a bit.
What kind of fish are you keeping, and how many and what siz,e that you are worried about an 8.2 pH?
The more fish, and the larger types will produce more acid, and buffering it is a plus.
If you are keeping Amazonian species that are healthier in pH below 7, than rather than mess with the acids you would need to counteract the buffering capacity of the pH raising substrate, it wouldn't it be much simpler to just get and use an inert one?
Most common aquarium substrates available are just that, inert.

Reactions: Finthusiast

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Hi duanes, thanks for reply! The tank at the moment has only water and is being filtered by an emporer 400. Its a 75 gallon tank and I want to keep my mayan cichlid in there by itself for now and I am not putting him in there until the tank it completely ready. My concern was that the substrate says it will be 8.2 and I read the mayan cichlids like ph between 7 and 8. Is there any way to add this substrate and somehow lower the ph to between 7 and 8?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Hi duanes, thanks for reply! The tank at the moment has only water and is being filtered by an emporer 400. Its a 75 gallon tank and I want to keep my mayan cichlid in there by itself for now and I am not putting him in there until the tank it completely ready. My concern was that the substrate says it will be 8.2 and I read the mayan cichlids like ph between 7 and 8. Is there any way to add this substrate and somehow lower the ph to between 7 and 8?
It will be fine in ph of 8.2, no need to lower it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It will be fine in ph of 8.2, no need to lower it.
Agree with this, Mayan cichlid (Mayaheros uropthalmus) are endemic to the Cenotes of the Yucatan where water easily has an 8.2 pH or higher, because of the high calcium rock made of ancient dead coral reefs, some uropthalmus are even comfortable in sea water (the variant from Isla Mujeras) so high mineral content, is not a problem.
Most uropthalmus come from giant sink holes in the dead coral, like the one in the video below.
Azul imovie edit

Terraphyte Tank Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2018
I have chosen a substrate that gives the water a ph of 8.2 (so it says) I havent added anything to the tank yet and am wondering if I can use this substrate and then counter the PH with something that can lower the PH of the water to give me a ph between 7 and 8. Any advice is appreciated thank you!
Hello Fin...

Are you planning on keeping and breeding some type of rare fish? If not, you don't need to worry about a specific pH, just one that remains steady. Most fish from the local pet stores will adapt to a pH between 6 and 8.5 as long the reading stays constant. You can maintain a consistent water chemistry by just removing and replacing most of the tank water every week. Aside from the standard water treatment, putting chemicals in the water isn't a good idea.

TTG

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
Wow thank you all! This info is valuable to me and I appreciate your wisdoms lol. I am excited for this little guy I hope to keep him for long time just want to be sure to give him a good life :) I am so thankful to this website everyone has been informative and quick at that! Thanks again I will keep in touch in the forums!

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
How do you get uric acid in an aquarium (assuming there are no birds or reptiles pooping in it)?

Finthusiast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2019
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store