What's everyone's top favorite fish? (for the moment at least)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I know everyone's favorite fish changes all the time, so what's your current favorite fish?
only one
my favorite, for the time, would be mdoka/ngara flametail peacocks. I love the unique pattern and color scheme, as well as the deep metallic blue that covers the body. I also like how the fins fade to black, as well as the almost peacock like pattern on the tail.
I also like the fact that everyone can't have a nice flametail. you have to work with your peacock in giving it good husbandry and a good diet in order to get that cherry red on it and the deep metallic blue. That is, if you can find a healthy one to raise first.
1572582850316.png
Just gives a chance to have a pretty unique "wow" fish that almost everyone will be impressed by.
I've seen some not so healthy flametails with muted or dulled blues, the "flames" being orange, or just red/orange on just the tail. I think the latter there is more dependent on genetics, but with the orange flame part that can usually be improved with a better diet. I just don't like the muted orange on the deep blue fish.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well you've certainly set the bar high with your choice. I love fish with blues in, some of the frontosa species are stunning with their blues.

But it's not always about the immediate visual wow factor that makes a fish a favourite. My favourite, and it's been my favourite for years is the clown loach. Not only is it a beautiful looking fish but you've just got to love the ways they entertain, especially when kept in large groups. They are funny little characters, I could watch mine for hours.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wallace’s shoehead catfish without a doubt. I only had the little guy for a while until my failures as a fish keeper caused the death of him. I have not given up on them yet though.
Here’s a picture.
FE06CD92-B418-453A-87E7-9546B07450D2.jpeg

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Wallace’s shoehead catfish without a doubt. I only had the little guy for a while until my failures as a fish keeper caused the death of him. I have not given up on them yet though.
Here’s a picture.
View attachment 1393685
That's a cool looking fish, I've never seen them before.

At the moment for me the favourite is just a Salvini Cichlid. I'm going through a stage of appreciating underrated and common fish. A lot of the classics get overlooked but are stunning if they are card for well and you actually pay attention to them once in a while.
I rehoused mine due to aggression and still regret it.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
That's a cool looking fish, I've never seen them before.

At the moment for me the favourite is just a Salvini Cichlid. I'm going through a stage of appreciating underrated and common fish. A lot of the classics get overlooked but are stunning if they are card for well and you actually pay attention to them once in a while.
I rehoused mine due to aggression and still regret it.
+1 on this. I recently aquired a juvie texaspair to grow out.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I am, and have been for a very long time, infatuated with Brachyplatystoma juruense. In particular, the exceptional looking ones with reversed colors and high yellow, such as this:

Zebra Catfish.jpg

That's my unicorn. I want to know everything about this species, in particular why the wild specimens look nothing like what we have in the hobby.

I've got a working hypothesis as to why they do what they do in captivity, but I've not yet had a chance to proof it out. In short, I think we're off the mark for water quality similar to what we see with wild discus, and I suspect they need dietary supplementation to actually develop their yellows.

The 550 that'll be set up in my new house once it's done being built is intended to be a specimen tank for a juruense with a few other SA species for movement and color.

I am utterly fascinated by the enigma of this species. It is my goal to crack this problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store