Tank dividers for 75 gallon?

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
I have a 75 gallon that I am looking to breed bicolor peacocks and hongis in.

I have seen some diy dividers online that are completly in the tank and I don't remember what they are made from.

Or if anyone knows of a specific product that goes only in the tank (not hanging on the sides).

Thx

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
The egg crate is probably the best option. I'm not sure having a breeding group of aggressive fish in 2ft of tank will work for a long period though.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree, I always use egg crate (AKA light diffuser in some hardware stores), it allows for almost completely unrestricted water flow for filtration, yet keeps adult cichlids apart. When I cut it to fit, I use the trimmings to brace horizontal pieces with vertical ones, below, and on the sides, using zip ties to secure them together

Also like to cut a notch to securely fit the divider into the aquariums frame.

I sometimes place rocks on horizontal pieces to add more security.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have even had some species (where the male had a tendency to kill females) spawn between dividers by placing a spawning surface close to the divider downstream from the male.

male below

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Keep in mind fish can jump over dividers so make sure the divider comes all the way up to the cover. I also agree with james99 that if the fish are too aggressive for a 24" tank, a divided 75G may not be ideal.

Reactions: RD.

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
Keep in mind fish can jump over dividers so make sure the divider comes all the way up to the cover. I also agree with james99 that if the fish are too aggressive for a 24" tank, a divided 75G may not be ideal.
I have a quite peaceful bicolor and I never have aggression problems with hongi.

I never have problems with breeding africans in 29's and half of a 75 would be better than that.

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
Ive used egg crate. Its the stuff used over drop ceiling lights. Light diffusers is the technical terminology id guess. The spaces are about 1/2" though so small fish can swim right through. Ive made dividers using plastic window screen parts too. These are more expensive and labor intensive.
Cool I'll get some.

Reactions: twentyleagues

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I believe you but just want to point out that a 29G is 30" long and half a 75G is 24" long.

IME I have had problems even breeding stuartgranti peacocks (let alone an aggressive mbuna like hongi) in a 36" tank so we have had different experiences.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store