MFK catfish inventory...show or tell :)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Great looking catfish everyone!

I was going to post pics as well, but I can't seem to find any ?

For the time being, all I have is a B. sp. "Indochina" goonch. It's about 12" or so, growing slowly but consistently over the year I've had it. When I bought it, the pics I was looking at showed rutilus so that's what I expected. This fish has an entirely different disposition than do the rutilus I've kept in the past. This fish is a killer. It's caused quite the disruption in the only tank I had running at the time, eating or killing most tankmates, to include the actual rutilus I got shortly afterward. Never trust a catfish I suppose. ?‍♂

I've also tried several times over the past couple of years with Brachyplatystoma juruense, but I'm on well water from the Floridan aquifer. My water comes out of the ground at 9.0 pH with hardness that is literally off the charts, and the jurs just die in less than a month. I believe this to be the cause because before I moved home to Florida, I was on city water and I kept one alive for several years before I sold it... to move home lol. The only change in my husbandry was the water I started with. Same tank, filters, pothos, etc. I want to try again with ro/di water, but I don't think I'm going to get another jur until I've addressed my water down to at least pH neutral and measurable levels of hardness. Finding the oddballs I'm interested in is both challenging and expensive, so waiting it is.

It's been a frustrating couple of years for me, but things are coming together nicely. Got a few other things going on as well, largely with helping my son get into the hobby, but they're not catfish related.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store