Pond armor and silicone?

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
So I am currently in the process of planning a plywood aquarium build and was planning to set up the viewing panel as glass silicone to Pond Armor. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and had it last long term. I know the King of Diy recommends this stuff but I was talking to a guy who has apparently been building plywood aquariums for years. He said that silicone wouldn't stick to plastic long term. He basically said you could get maybe a year out of that stuff maybe if you're lucky. When I told him about Pond Shield he didn't know what the product was as he's probably a bit of an old timer. Any thoughts? Would silicone stick to expoxy or would it eventually loose grip like he said?

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I have a plywood 1000 gal. That is pond armor and fiberglass w all corners and 8'x4' acrylic panel siliconed. Sticks very well so far. Up and running about 3yrs.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

George Fertern

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2016
I have a plywood 1000 gal. That is pond armor and fiberglass w all corners and 8'x4' acrylic panel siliconed. Sticks very well so far. Up and running about 3yrs.
What kind of silicone did you use? Just the simple GE silicone Window and Door or would you recommend something more strong or higher quality?

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
For all my builds I use ASI brand, (aquarium sealants incorporated). Ordered from ebay.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
It sticks very well. But, I piloted holes and screwed the perimeters anyway. Can't be to safe with a wooden tank is my perspective. Also the brand is American sealants inc. (Aquarium sealant). My bad. And scuff the pond armor well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store