Exodons Tank Mates

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
I am planning on a planted 100 gallon tank and it was suggested to me that these fish would be a cool idea and after looking into them I think that would be correct. My question is people with experience keeping these fish, tankmates.... can plecos merge with them... how about snails and cray fish etc? I have not found a thread that really lines things out, if I missed it I apologize.

Thanks
Glenn

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am planning on a planted 100 gallon tank and it was suggested to me that these fish would be a cool idea and after looking into them I think that would be correct. My question is people with experience keeping these fish, tankmates.... can plecos merge with them... how about snails and cray fish etc? I have not found a thread that really lines things out, if I missed it I apologize.

Thanks
Glenn
A specie only aquarium no tankmates. A snail may be safe. Never heard of Crayfish being kept with Exodons it could go bad either way imo.

Reactions: kno4te

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
A specie only aquarium no tankmates. A snail may be safe. Never heard of Crayfish being kept with Exodons it could go bad either way imo.
From what I have read if anything has scales it could end badly... I just figured I would ask as there is not many threads about these fish at least from what I can see.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
From what I have read if anything has scales it could end badly... I just figured I would ask as there is not many threads about these fish at least from what I can see.
Yes that is correct they are scale eater's but have personally witnessed them stripping a feeder Goldfish down to a carcass. They are equivalent to their cousins the Piranha only with different teeth. The Crayfish will do damage with their claws and will try to snag a fish or the shoal of Exodons may decide to attack the Crayfish.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
You could try hard plated catfish.

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
Yes that is correct they are scale eater's but have personally witnessed them stripping a feeder Goldfish down to a carcass. They are equivalent to their cousins the Piranha only with different teeth. The Crayfish will do damage with their claws and will try to snag a fish or the shoal of Exodons may decide to attack the Crayfish.
I suppose that makes sense... so maybe shrimp and snails. I am looking for a predatory tank but also a really nice aquascaped tank as well. Thanks for the heads up.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suppose that makes sense... so maybe shrimp and snails. I am looking for a predatory tank but also a really nice aquascaped tank as well. Thanks for the heads up.
You could give it a go with the Shrimp and Snails. Keep us updated.

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
I will definitely do so... I have to get the tank cycled and ready to roll then I will post my results.

g_morin

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2005
Brooklyn
Does anyone know or have an idea of what the preferred substrate would be for Exodons? Sand small rock, larger rocks? I already planned on driftwood and plants.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Does anyone know or have an idea of what the preferred substrate would be for Exodons? Sand small rock, larger rocks? I already planned on driftwood and plants.
Whatever you choose doesn't matter for the Exodons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store