Electric Blue Acara - Ich and acting different

dfoos005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2020
I recently purchased an Electric Blue Acara (juvenile, 2 - 2.5 inches) on 2/15. He was fine and acting normal for the first few days I had him. On the 18th I noticed he had a little bit of Ich (just a few spots on his tail & fins) I treated my tank with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy that I had from a previous ich incident that I had in a different tank. The next day (2/19) the EBC had no Ich spots that I could notice.

On 2/20 I noticed that had a few Ich spots again and has continued to have Ich spots since then. I've continued to treat my tank with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy. Yesterday I noticed that he's breathing heavy and is hanging out towards the rim of my tank, ofter in one of the back corners. I also noticed he has a small red spot between his pelvic fins, almost like blood or some type of irritation.

Water Parameters: Temp 81.7, PH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10. My last water change was yesterday morning.

Tank Mates: 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 12 Odessa Barbs, 6 Gold Bards, and 8 Rusty Cory Cats. This is a 75-gallon tank with a Fluval 407 canister filter.

20200223_104437.jpg

20200223_104714.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently purchased an Electric Blue Acara (juvenile, 2 - 2.5 inches) on 2/15. He was fine and acting normal for the first few days I had him. On the 18th I noticed he had a little bit of Ich (just a few spots on his tail & fins) I treated my tank with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy that I had from a previous ich incident that I had in a different tank. The next day (2/19) the EBC had no Ich spots that I could notice.

On 2/20 I noticed that had a few Ich spots again and has continued to have Ich spots since then. I've continued to treat my tank with Imagitarium Parasite Remedy. Yesterday I noticed that he's breathing heavy and is hanging out towards the rim of my tank, ofter in one of the back corners. I also noticed he has a small red spot between his pelvic fins, almost like blood or some type of irritation.

Water Parameters: Temp 81.7, PH 7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10. My last water change was yesterday morning.

Tank Mates: 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 12 Odessa Barbs, 6 Gold Bards, and 8 Rusty Cory Cats. This is a 75-gallon tank with a Fluval 407 canister filter.

View attachment 1406554

View attachment 1406555
Welcome aboard

I personally would place the EBA in a quarantine aquarium and then you could go a few more degrees without worrying about your other fish. I would observe other fish in the aquarium for awhile they could be infected.

Reactions: kno4te

dfoos005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2020
Welcome aboard

I personally would place the EBA in a quarantine aquarium and then you could go a few more degrees without worrying about your other fish. I would observe other fish in the aquarium for awhile they could be infected.

So far none of my other fish appear to be displaying any symptoms or are acting any differently. I was planning on running to Petco in a bit, I'll pick up a quarantine tank (I've been needing one and should have had one set up, to begin with) along with some more Ich meds since I'm about out.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So far none of my other fish appear to be displaying any symptoms or are acting any differently. I was planning on running to Petco in a bit, I'll pick up a quarantine tank (I've been needing one and should have had one set up, to begin with) along with some more Ich meds since I'm about out.
I prefer aquarium salt over meds but that's a personal thing.

dfoos005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2020
I prefer aquarium salt over meds but that's a personal thing.
I've heard great things about salt, I've never tried it though. I was nervous to try salt in my primary tank since I've heard salt doesn't always mix well with plants and some fish. But with a quarantine tank, I'll give it a try.

dfoos005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2020
I just wanted to post a quick update. I ended up getting a 20G long quarantine tank. I have it set up and moved the EBA to the new quarantine tank. I'm also using API Aquarium Salt now instead of Ich meds.

The EBA was pretty active when I moved him over to the quarantine tank, he explored his new home and has been resting for the past hour. I'm hoping for the best now.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just wanted to post a quick update. I ended up getting a 20G long quarantine tank. I have it set up and moved the EBA to the new quarantine tank. I'm also using API Aquarium Salt now instead of Ich meds.

The EBA was pretty active when I moved him over to the quarantine tank, he explored his new home and has been resting for the past hour. I'm hoping for the best now.
Great to hear that.

dfoos005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2020
Update - as of this morning the EBA is laying on his side breathing heavy at the bottom of the tank. Hes not looking great at the moment.

20200224_061121.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What's the dosing of the amount of salt used?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store