Dithers with vieja fenestratus

Cichlidobssesed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2020
I'll be picking up a mature breeding pair of vieja fenestratus tomorrow and there new home will be in a 200gal system (180ish true gallons with a 50gal sump). I've always loved tanks with large centerpiece fish(single or pair) with lots of small schooling fish. I've read that vieja do well with small fish for dithers since they dont veiw them as food. I've seen posts about live bearers as dithers. Would this inhibit breeding or have any adverse effects on frequent breeding? Would cardinal or neon tetras work instead of live bearers?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'll be picking up a mature breeding pair of vieja fenestratus tomorrow and there new home will be in a 200gal system (180ish true gallons with a 50gal sump). I've always loved tanks with large centerpiece fish(single or pair) with lots of small schooling fish. I've read that vieja do well with small fish for dithers since they dont veiw them as food. I've seen posts about live bearers as dithers. Would this inhibit breeding or have any adverse effects on frequent breeding? Would cardinal or neon tetras work instead of live bearers?
The Cardinal and Neon Tetra would probably be more and likely picked off.
The Livebearer's would not inhibit breeding in fact it will make the pair feel at ease.

mr cichlid

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Salvini, loiselle, lamprologus tetracanthus, mbuna, jewels, nicarguensis, convict, lamprologus moorii (new family name starts with V), champsachromis trout, nkimbe, neetroplus namatopus, pike cichlid, catfish, chipokee, panamensis, salsburgi, etc...no neons (snacks)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The wild caught Cardinal and Neon Tetra come from low PH water. If your tap water is hard I suggest avoiding them for that very reason alone.

Cichlidobssesed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2020
Looking for mainly a shoaling or schooling fish, want something to give color and life to the tank without drawing attention from the main fish. Had swordtails suggested alot but in not that into them. Thinking boesemani rainbows or a colorful barb(aka not tinfoils)

Cichlidobssesed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2020
The wild caught Cardinal and Neon Tetra come from low PH water. If your tap water is hard I suggest avoiding them for that very reason alone.
I have a water filtration system that gets my water to almost r/o levels (around 2 hardness with little to no KH) so I adjust my water to what I need in a reservoir befor adding to tank. But that's beside the point, for vieja i would use a ph suitable for them.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Looking for mainly a shoaling or schooling fish, want something to give color and life to the tank without drawing attention from the main fish. Had swordtails suggested alot but in not that into them. Thinking boesemani rainbows or a colorful barb(aka not tinfoils)
I agree Boesemani Rainbows would look very nice. You could probably give it a go and see how it goes but be ready if things get ugly.

Reactions: Cichlidobssesed

Cichlidobssesed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2020
Then only logical choice is bucktooth tetra...the exodon!
That would get very interesting with fry.... anything that doesnt double or triple them in size starts look like a scifi piranha movie? would be a bad ass tank if it could work though!! Very interesting experiment..?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature they are primarily vegetarian, but will pick off tiny fish (especially in the confines of a tank).
They share habitat in Mexico with Poecilia mollies (also primarily algae eaters) , so to me, these would be a good choice, as they are large enough to not be eaten, but small enough to not pose a threat, and will inhabit the higher areas of the tank, fenestrata the lower areas near the substrate.
And in nature fenestratus live in hard, mineral rich water, and those riverine varients will often enter brackish, even sea water , same as mollies (sail fin type are prime examples).

RO type, mineral poor water may not be good choice for them.
When Stakowski collected them, he reported
pH 7-8
general hardness 4-11 dGH
calcium hardness 5 -13 KH
Mine spawned in medium hard water (@250ppm Total hardness) pH 7.6-7.8.
If breeding is your intent, and want to keep fry, medium or large tetras may not be a good idea, as they are consummate fry predators, very quick and accurate hunters.
I just had a pair of Andinoacara spawn in a heavily planted 180 gal, it contains some Roboides tetras, each day the tetras methodically reduced the free swimming fry school, until within less than a week there were no more fry.
My intent was not to save fry.

0061B162-BB74-4E05-97AA-85F7D3AAD042_1_201_a.jpeg
C34F13F7-3002-4B4A-AF5E-D7AC1570DFB2_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store