Sick Oscar - Help Please

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I currently have a Oscar that seems to be having some health issues. For the last 4 days or so he has done nothing except laid at the bottom of my tank. At times he seems to be breathing normally and other times really heavy. As of 2 days ago he went from sitting at the bottom of the tank to fully laying on its side. Slowly I have also noticed that the fins seem to be slowly getting in worse condition. Not sure if this is from a lack of movement or a infection of some sort.

I have a 150 gallon established tank of 3 years. Temp - 78, ph 7.3, nitrites and ammonia 0, nitrates 8.0.

Filtration I have two filstar XP XL canister filters as well as a power head.

Tank mates - jack Dempsey, red terror, red devil, blood parrot, and 2 Texas cichlids.

I have been doing 50% water changes every other day since I noticed he was acting funny.

63387B5C-4213-4CE2-8749-A6CE276C36F3.jpeg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
So, you've noticed a steady decline in your oscars health over the past four days? What about before then? Was he swimming as normal, eating well? Is your oscar a new addition or has he been in that tank with his current tankmates since it was established? What other fish do you have in the tank and did you notice any aggression toward your oscar?

Reactions: tlindsey

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve had him for 5 years or so. Same tank and tank mates for 3 years. No aggression. Even with him laying on the bottom nobody messes with him. Before this he was the swimming around and eating anything he could.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I’ve had him for 5 years or so. Same tank and tank mates for 3 years. No aggression. Even with him laying on the bottom nobody messes with him. Before this he was the swimming around and eating anything he could.
How old was he when you got him? He kind of looks like a bit of an old boy but that could just be his tattered fins throwing me.

He's been in a well established tank for years, no aggression issues, parameters seem fine. Anything drastic that you may or may not have done over the past few days would have had an impact on other tank mates too, but they are OK. There's nothing that really sticks out.

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
How old was he when you got him? He kind of looks like a bit of an old boy but that could just be his tattered fins throwing me.

He's been in a well established tank for years, no aggression issues, parameters seem fine. Anything drastic that you may or may not have done over the past few days would have had an impact on other tank mates too, but they are OK. There's nothing that really sticks out.
I’ve had him since he was about a inch. The only thing that I will say was out of the ordinary was I was out of town a couple weeks ago. And when I arrived back my nitrate levels were extremely high.

Or could it possibly be an internal parasite?
I’m just wondering if I should separate him and get him on a medication.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you have a quarantine tank that could be your next move. As for treatment for any possible parasites i'd be inclined to ask kno4te kno4te . Good luck with your oscar.

d3adlydesignz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2016
If you have a quarantine tank that could be your next move. As for treatment for any possible parasites i'd be inclined to ask kno4te kno4te . Good luck with your oscar.
Agreed, Thanks! Only problem is it’s a small 10 gallon. But the way he is feeling now I don’t see think that will that big of an issue since it will be used as a temporary home.

Reactions: kno4te

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The Oscar looks stunted it should be bigger than what it is after 5 years. The high Nitrate level caused this and what the Oscar is going through now. The water changes were probably not large enough through those years. The other Cichlids don't show signs of health problems due to them being hardy enough to tolerate the high Nitrate.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Agreed, Thanks! Only problem is it’s a small 10 gallon. But the way he is feeling now I don’t see think that will that big of an issue since it will be used as a temporary home.

I suggest you buy a 50 gallon tote to quarantine the Oscar in.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store