120G - African Biotope - Suggestions

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bad idea to keep the african butterfly fish and Congo tetras with an ornate and endli?
Also so it was you that bought that ornate, I had been watching it for a while. It is indeed an ornate bagrid catfish just to put your previous concerns to rest.

The only other fish I know of that it could be is a Goeldiella eques, other wise known as the horse head pim I believe, they look quite similar but I believe there is a way to tell the difference by counting the whiskers as the ornate has one more I believe? Please do take that with a grain of salt as I can not remember where I saw it. I will try to locate it now.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Am I the only one that thinks it’s a bad idea to keep the african butterfly fish and Congo tetras with an ornate and endli?
Also so it was you that bought that ornate, I had been watching it for a while. It is indeed an ornate bagrid catfish just to put your previous concerns to rest.

The only other fish I know of that it could be is a Goeldiella eques, other wise known as the horse head pim I believe, they look quite similar but I believe there is a way to tell the difference by counting the whiskers as the ornate has one more I believe? Please do take that with a grain of salt as I can not remember where I saw it. I will try to locate it now.
there will be no tetras. Tanks pretty full...

the butterfly are pretty wide? Maybe 3” or so?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Here is a page about goeldiella eques
https://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/goeldiella_eques.htm
The second picture shows you a face shot, if you look closely then you will count 4 barbells on the bottom and 2 on the top.

This in a page from planet catfish which shows a picture of the ornate bagrid.
If you look then you will find 6 barbells on the bottom and 2 on top.

If you can get me a face shot of the catfish in question then I should be able to count the barbells and see which one it is.

Reactions: dr exum

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
the butterfly are pretty wide? Maybe 3” or so?
In my personal experience african butterfly fish tend to max out around 3 inches long and by about half an inch wide, the fins that spread across the top of the water do not help when it comes to the ability to fit in ones mouth. Don’t get me wrong, I love african butterfly fish and wish more people would keep them, I just worry about the bichirs eating them. It is your tank however so you can run it however you want as you have final say.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
In my personal experience african butterfly fish tend to max out around 3 inches long and by about half an inch wide, the fins that spread across the top of the water do not help when it comes to the ability to fit in ones mouth. Don’t get me wrong, I love african butterfly fish and wish more people would keep them, I just worry about the bichirs eating them. It is your tank however so you can run it however you want as you have final say.
Fair enough, pretty sure they sold me a legit ornate catfish, was making light of another’s problem when ordering from live aquaria.

must say their packing is superior to others....

with the butterfly, horse already out of the barn.. sadly...

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I can’t remember who it was here but someone bought a bichir that was mistakenly labeled and they had to fight to have them acknowledge they made a mistake and change the name on the last one in the diversden but refuse to admit it to them, I think it was one of our female members, our poly group would probably know who I’m talking about.
*edit* ahh I went back and read the thread again and saw you mentioned it already, my bad. twentyleagues twentyleagues you know who it was?

Their packaging is top notch in my opinion, easily the best packaging I’ve personally experienced when ordering fish online. I would trust them to send a full grown spiny monster pleco or any of the other cactus plecos and have it not puncture the bags.

New tank time or you could sell them if you want to.

Also I must say thank you for posting your order, I was not aware they had the leaf fish back in stock, I may get some.

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I can’t remember who it was here but someone bought a bichir that was mistakenly labeled and they had to fight to have them acknowledge they made a mistake and change the name on the last one in the diversden but refuse to admit it to them, I think it was one of our female members, our poly group would probably know who I’m talking about.
*edit* ahh I went back and read the thread again and saw you mentioned it already, my bad. twentyleagues twentyleagues you know who it was?

Their packaging is top notch in my opinion, easily the best packaging I’ve personally experienced when ordering fish online. I would trust them to send a full grown spiny monster pleco or any of the other cactus plecos and have it not puncture the bags.

New tank time or you could sell them if you want to.

Also I must say thank you for posting your order, I was not aware they had the leaf fish back in stock, I may get some.
I don't remember who it was tbh.

My butterfly is about 5" long and the body is easily 1"+ and as deep or deeper. I don't think it's going to be bad but you never know with ornates or lower jaw polys.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I’ll watch pretty close, biggest Bichir is probably 6”...

if one gets injured I can put them up in a 45g I have upstairs that has 3 tetras and an amazon puffer...

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I don't remember who it was tbh.

My butterfly is about 5" long and the body is easily 1"+ and as deep or deeper. I don't think it's going to be bad but you never know with ornates or lower jaw polys.
If you guys are talking about live aquaria sending a mislabeled bichir I think it was from Fishysweet Fishysweet post.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Well,

fishhead01.... not sure how to tag people....

ur right, caught the ornate Bichir tasting one of the butterfly fish...?

They are acclimating to a 45g upstairs...

My african biotope runnith over.... gonna have to do a fish shuffle after fish get out of QT...possibly turn that 45g or a 75g into 2nd peaceful african biotope

never enough space ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store