smallest Cheap fw stingray?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
folks may chime in - motoro supposed to be easy - tea cup small species-

i’ve never had them, just researched ... clean water.... bare bottom, sand, or fine gravel...

there is a sticky in the ray section?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Smallest is hystrix (name changed), scobina, and mini marbles. Prices vary but have seen mm in the marketplace. Haven’t seen scobina availabe for a while. Saw some posted in Europe but a while ago. Have seen some hystrix on aquabid. Can email Wes at amazonaq@gmail.com and he may be able to bring some in. Can’t hurt to ask.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
folks may chime in - motoro supposed to be easy - tea cup small species-

i’ve never had them, just researched ... clean water.... bare bottom, sand, or fine gravel...

there is a sticky in the ray section?
Btw not trying to be mean but tea cup sting rays aren't real. It's another marketing term ppl use on the smaller species of rays to trick ppl into thinking that they are getting a ray that will stay small. Kind of like a tea cup Chihuahua or tea cup pug, they're just the normal dog just sold as a "tea cup" version. It's a way of making the same dog specie more expensive.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Like already mentioned hystrix (Wallacei) are smaller sized, I had a fully mature male that was 13.5” and apparently that was quite big for a male. Females typically get a bit bigger.

pearls are said to be 18-24”, but I am only going off of what local breeders tell me. I haven’t seen any over 18” personally.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
We've got some Scobina in stock right now at Chicago Stingrays, they tend to stay smaller than Hystrix. They also are a bit more expensive than hystrix.

Pearls will get massive as well, I've seen some in person that were easily 24".
How much do scobina typically go for? I’m not familiar with their prices. I knew they were a bit more, that’s why I didn’t mention them because op asked for cheaper.

Reactions: tlindsey

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
How much do scobina typically go for? I’m not familiar with their prices. I knew they were a bit more, that’s why I didn’t mention them because op asked for cheaper.
I did miss that, they are definitely not a cheaper ray. We sell pairs for $1700

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store