Blood Parrot spawning?

Crocoduck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2017
Hi, I have a pond where I take in unwanted/overgrown fish from friends. In my pond I have quite a few cichlids, including 3 blood parrots and one unidentified golden cichlid (I also have one peacock bass but SA cichlids dont hybridise iirc). So recently the unidentified cichlid has been swimming nearer to the filter flow, which is unusual because they usually hide when people come near. Today I come back home in the afternoon to find this on the wall. Are my cichlids spawning? As of my current knowledge blood parrots are infertile so I’m not sure how this is happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
48501A45-4F89-4925-B6AF-633ED6029539.jpeg22A43A7F-E6FD-4DF9-97A7-8E7D47B2ACBC.jpeg
by the way could y’all also help me identify the golden cichlid?

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hi, I have a pond where I take in unwanted/overgrown fish from friends. In my pond I have quite a few cichlids, including 3 blood parrots and one unidentified golden cichlid (I also have one peacock bass but SA cichlids dont hybridise iirc). So recently the unidentified cichlid has been swimming nearer to the filter flow, which is unusual because they usually hide when people come near. Today I come back home in the afternoon to find this on the wall. Are my cichlids spawning? As of my current knowledge blood parrots are infertile so I’m not sure how this is happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
View attachment 1422368View attachment 1422369
by the way could y’all also help me identify the golden cichlid?
Females can lay eggs without males, males fertilize eggs afterwards and females even can lay infertile eggs. Both needs to be fertile in order to get fry. Not sure about the type of golden fish, do you have better pictures?

Reactions: tlindsey

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Nice! You have very clear water in your pond set-up.

The golden fish looks to be a short-bodied golden-based flowerhorn or Kirin Parrot. It could be a fertile male, though it looks like it is assuming the female role of guarding the eggs, so they are most likely infertile. Blood parrot males are almost always infertile.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store