What's the best way to childproof a pond?

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
My wife and I got a new place that has a small pond. It's roughly 12ft by 9ft and 2.5 feet deep. Currently just full of frogs. I've always wanted a pond and want to save it but my wife thinks we should drain it because she's afraid of our kids drowning. What would be the best way to child proof it?

Reactions: tlindsey

TheBtchWhisperersWife

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2013
MoCo, Maryland
How old are your kids? I used fence stakes and some heavy-duty wire garden fencing (36" height, I think) to put around our small pond. It was more to keep the dogs out than the kids, though. It makes it harder for me to get in and out of it, but stops the dogs from incessantly dropping toys in while I'm working on it

My kids (4 and 7) have mostly understood to stay the heck out of it for several years. The worst they do at this point is throw pebbles and dirt in, which is annoying but not potentially deadly.

Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
dang sorry to hear that. I’d suggest getting a fence but not right along the perimeter because you want to be able to have some walking room once you get in? but that would probably be your best bet

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
My two kids grew up with this pond and another 4.5 foot deep that is far tougher to reach. They loved the fish and the frogs but never had issues.....only 22" deep. Supervise the kids and make sure they respect the pond. Once they are 6-7 years old a kiddie pool deep pond should be no risk.....or build a fence i guess. Aesthetically that option would have ruined my yard!IMG_0209.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I've seen people put gravel inside to make it shallower. It can be removed once the kids are grown but it's the neighborhood kids you got to worry about. They say kids can drown in a few inches of water.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
My younger siblings grew up with a 2ft deep pond around the house.
I didn’t build a pond till my kids were 3+
It’s never been an issue, but I grew up in a family that closely watches little kids. We don’t leave them unsupervised and they can’t get outside without an adult.

Without constant supervision, teaching safety, respect, and consequences the only other option is fencing around the pond and locking the gate.

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store